Old 26-06-2004, 03:02 AM
HA HA Budys Here

Default grassy Iris

I have a couple of clumps of iris but not the bearded type, this type is
standard and grows like a clump of ornamental grass. They're purple. They
didn't flower profusely this season but the green part of the plants is
healthier than it's ever been.

Last time I seperated this huge clump into 2 smaller clumps into "pits" of very
dark compost but for a couple seasons neither the stalks nor the leaves would
stay upright as the compost didn't provide a good solid "foundation" NOw that
the planting medium has naturalized and the plants look sturdy & strong,
they're not flowering.

Do Iris prefer not to be treated to a soft, rich royal meal of home made
compost, when I redivide for better flowering?
Old 26-06-2004, 08:03 AM
gregpresley

sounds like you have siberian iris. They often take several years after
dividing and transplanting to settle down and flower well again. Generally
they make their best display after they have made up a fairly large clump. I
don't think I would divide them again until they have been flowering well a
few seasons. I think siberians generally like rich soil - at least more than
bearded iris.
I have three clumps started from store-bought pots, (this is their 3rd year
in the ground), and this was the first year that I got several blooms on
each plant. But the clumps are slowly but steadily increasing, so I have
great hopes for next year.

Old 26-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Vox Humana

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote in message
I have a couple of clumps of iris but not the bearded type, this type is
standard and grows like a clump of ornamental grass. They're purple. They
didn't flower profusely this season but the green part of the plants is
healthier than it's ever been.

Last time I seperated this huge clump into 2 smaller clumps into "pits" of

very
dark compost but for a couple seasons neither the stalks nor the leaves

would
stay upright as the compost didn't provide a good solid "foundation" NOw

that
the planting medium has naturalized and the plants look sturdy & strong,
they're not flowering.

Do Iris prefer not to be treated to a soft, rich royal meal of home made
compost, when I redivide for better flowering?

It sounds like Siberian Iris "Caeser's brother."
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/33225/
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/40585/
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=D560

I have a large clump that is about 6 years old. It took a couple of years
to get established and then bloomed well for a couple of years. The last
two years it hasn't bloomed well at all. I think it needs to be divided. I
also think that it is getting too much fertilizer. I try not to fertilize
it directly, but it is on a slope and I suspect that there is nutrient
run-off from the upper part of the bed. They like constant moisture and a
good deal of sun to do well. I wouldn't get to involved with amending the
soil as they probably do better in average soil.

Old 26-06-2004, 07:03 PM
HA HA Budys Here

From: "Vox Humana"

[...]

Thanks. Mine are at the bottom of a slope as well. They used to get a shot of
miracle-grow runoff from above but I've discontinued using fertilizers now
because I've ammended just about every planted area on the property.

Thing is, I could swear they bloomed better last year and the year before, and
I'm unsure whether to divide and re-plant or just leave them alone to
naturalize some more.
Old 26-06-2004, 10:02 PM
Vox Humana

From: "Vox Humana"

[...]

I'm sure mine need to be divided. The problem is that they have deep roots
and are a pain to dig and divide. Then I have the added issue that I don't
have any good place to put the extras.