Old 26-06-2004, 07:03 PM
gregpresley

Default Hollyhock Transplanting

Hollyhocks have quite large roots. I have transplanted them successfully -
however, the earlier in the season the better. The best bet is when you get
the soil well-moistened beforehand, and get the hollyhock up with a large
clump of dirt around the roots. It will wilt pretty distressingly for 3 or 4
days, but then usually will come back if you water it well everyday until
then. Afterwards, just water normally as you do other plants. The ones that
seed themselves in usually are the best, most healthy plants. Those that I
have come up that way often reach 6 to 8 feet with sturdy stalks. The
transplants and store-bought plants often top out at 3 or 4 feet.
Unfortunately, the foliage of hollyhocks is never an asset. A magnet for
chewing insects and rust......
"KJFK" wrote in message
We had a volunteer hollyhock sprout up at the edge of our veg garden. We

let it
grow cause is looked a little like a squash / zucc. Its has beautiful pink
flowers but is in a bad location. I've read it has some transplanting

problems.
Anybody have any tips?