Old 26-06-2004, 12:03 PM
KJFK

Default Hollyhock Transplanting

We had a volunteer hollyhock sprout up at the edge of our veg garden. We let it
grow cause is looked a little like a squash / zucc. Its has beautiful pink
flowers but is in a bad location. I've read it has some transplanting problems.
Anybody have any tips?
Old 26-06-2004, 06:02 PM
starlord

Wait until it dies in winter and pull all of it out, they don't take to
transplanting at all. Save the seeds too.

Old 26-06-2004, 07:03 PM
gregpresley

Hollyhocks have quite large roots. I have transplanted them successfully -
however, the earlier in the season the better. The best bet is when you get
the soil well-moistened beforehand, and get the hollyhock up with a large
clump of dirt around the roots. It will wilt pretty distressingly for 3 or 4
days, but then usually will come back if you water it well everyday until
then. Afterwards, just water normally as you do other plants. The ones that
seed themselves in usually are the best, most healthy plants. Those that I
have come up that way often reach 6 to 8 feet with sturdy stalks. The
transplants and store-bought plants often top out at 3 or 4 feet.
Unfortunately, the foliage of hollyhocks is never an asset. A magnet for
chewing insects and rust......

Old 27-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Sunflower

"KJFK" wrote in message
We had a volunteer hollyhock sprout up at the edge of our veg garden. We

let it
grow cause is looked a little like a squash / zucc. Its has beautiful pink
flowers but is in a bad location. I've read it has some transplanting

problems.
Anybody have any tips?

If it's blooming, leave it alone. They are biennials and it will die this
winter anyway. Save the seed it produces and sow it this fall where you
want them to grow.

[IMG] code is On

hollyhock seeds jay jay United Kingdom 1 29-01-2005 12:52 PM
Stubborn Hollyhock James Watt Gardening 3 28-08-2004 07:11 PM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 5 10-08-2003 11:13 AM
Very tall hollyhock stuart noble United Kingdom 0 04-08-2003 09:12 AM
Hollyhock`s Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 29-06-2003 11:56 AM