Old 27-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Clanorchid

Default FYI: Govt push to trade rare orchids

Hi Group;

The original poster should correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the
message got scrambled and should have read "hybrid orchids, jade and crown
of thorns." Considering that CITES is the Convention on International Trade
of Endangered _Species_, I've always been puzzled to see it having any
application to hybrids, at all ...

Not the original poster, but Right, when one reads the entire article the
message is as Kenni supposes. The Thai to English got a little garbled. The
additional remarks is to downgrade Vanda coerulea from Appendix I (not
exportable) to Appendix II (exportable).

IMHO, the reasons hybrids orchids are on the CITE list to begin with is the Ag.
guys could not tell a hybrid orchid from petunia. So CITES list them all, and
have the exporter and importer shoulder the responsibility. If the exporter and
importer are wrong then arrested them, put them out of business, then orchid
habitat destruction, because of over population, will go away. ***GRIN**

Will be doing a month there in November, Hope the CITES changes have gone
through. Yeh, Right, when my Grandkids are grown.

Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A. N.)
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE