Old 24-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Reka

Default FYI: Govt push to trade rare orchids

Govt push to trade rare orchids

The Nation, Bangkok's Independent Newspaper
http://nationmultimedia.com/page.new...6030&usrsess=1
Published on Jun 24, 2004

Thailand will ask the international wildlife secretariat to pull hybrid, jade and crown of thorns orchids from its list of species
under controlled trade, a senior official said yesterday.

The request will be made at a meeting of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species for Wild Fauna and Flora
(Cites), being in Bangkok in October. It is aimed at allowing Thailand to promote these flowers for export, the official said.

Hybrid, jade and crown of thorns orchids are currently registered as appendix II species, which lists plants and animals that may
become extinct, so their trade is permissible if authorised by the Cites Secretariat.

"These plants are our important exports, bringing in at least Bt1 billion per year, so the department will make two proposals to
Cites to help ease the trade," said Wicha Tithiprasert, director of the Plant Varieties Protection Division at the Department of
Agriculture.

The first proposal is to pull the hybrid orchid off the appendix II list and downgrade the blue vanda orchid from appendix I, which
deals with those species at critical population levels, to appendix II. Trade in species on the appendix I list is banned.

This would then allow the blue vanda orchid to be exported, Wicha said.

The second proposal is to move the jade and crown of thorns species out of appendix II, so there are no restrictions on import or
export, Wicha said.

"If approved, these proposals will help ease the trade of these four plants and expand the country's exports," he said, adding that
last year the country exported over ten million hybrid and jade orchids.

Wicha said the department would hold a meeting for the 31 Cites member countries in Asia in July to ask for support for Thailand's
proposals before the "Conference of the Parties" for the 167 member countries, scheduled for October 2-14 in Bangkok.

The proposals will be among over 50 expected to be made by governments around the world to the Cites secretariat.

---

Old 24-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Reka wrote:

Govt push to trade rare orchids

The Nation, Bangkok's Independent Newspaper
http://nationmultimedia.com/page.new...6030&usrsess=1
Published on Jun 24, 2004

Thailand will ask the international wildlife secretariat to pull hybrid, jade and crown of thorns orchids from its list of species
under controlled trade, a senior official said yesterday.

So, I'm not familiar with Thai common names. What is a 'jade' or
'crown of thorn' orchid? Problem with common names is that they are
so.... common. I might think crown of thorns was some sort of
euphorbia, and jade a succulent in the crassulacea group, neither of
which are orchids (but both of which I might easily presume to be on
CITES appendix two).

Thanks

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open for business - e-mail me for a list of
minicatts and oncidiums )
Old 24-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Mick Fournier

Default Govt push to trade rare orchids

All CITIES rule over orchids is a bunch of crap.

Mick

Old 24-06-2004, 11:06 PM
Kenni Judd

The original poster should correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the
message got scrambled and should have read "hybrid orchids, jade and crown
of thorns." Considering that CITES is the Convention on International Trade
of Endangered _Species_, I've always been puzzled to see it having any
application to hybrids, at all ... I can see extending it to natural
hybrids, although it would seem to me that this really should require some
kind of action analogous to the old US Supreme Court case declaring tomatoes
to be vegetables, rather than fruits. G But, I'm not among the "powers
that be" ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 27-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Clanorchid

Hi Group;

The original poster should correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the
message got scrambled and should have read "hybrid orchids, jade and crown
of thorns." Considering that CITES is the Convention on International Trade
of Endangered _Species_, I've always been puzzled to see it having any
application to hybrids, at all ...

Not the original poster, but Right, when one reads the entire article the
message is as Kenni supposes. The Thai to English got a little garbled. The
additional remarks is to downgrade Vanda coerulea from Appendix I (not
exportable) to Appendix II (exportable).

IMHO, the reasons hybrids orchids are on the CITE list to begin with is the Ag.
guys could not tell a hybrid orchid from petunia. So CITES list them all, and
have the exporter and importer shoulder the responsibility. If the exporter and
importer are wrong then arrested them, put them out of business, then orchid
habitat destruction, because of over population, will go away. ***GRIN**

Will be doing a month there in November, Hope the CITES changes have gone
through. Yeh, Right, when my Grandkids are grown.

Jerry

Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A. N.)
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE