Old 28-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Richard Patefield

Default [IBC] slabs/collecting in the UK

You have a point certainly Kev and if you mean the spoil heaps of
modern industrial mining processes from active mines then I can
wholeheartedly agree with you.

This would clearly be preferable to wandering the country picking up
stones on an ad hoc basis or combing the spoil heaps of ancient and
pre and early industrial revolution mines and quarries which are well
naturalised and indeed are often contained within the boundaries of
our national parks and other protected sites.

Perhaps reclaimed or recycled stone from old buildings might be
another less ethically dubious source.

All in all, a very troubling topic morally speaking.

Were you up early, or going to bed late, Kev?

Richard

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:03:38 +0100, you wrote:

My slant is why buy from a quarry that charges you for what they have
'stolen' under license? I'd rather gather responsibly and with
permission than add to their profits. More often than not, the material
that we desire can be gathered from the waste that industrial processes
such as slate mining have left as industrial eyesores.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Why not buy them from a quarrying company?

The more I think about the morality of 'collecting', the more inclined
I am to call it 'stealing'.

Richard

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++