Old 28-06-2004, 12:03 AM
James Allan

Default [IBC] slabs/collecting in the UK

Hi,

As a recent immigrant to the UK (from Toronto) I've been wondering what
the rules and regulations are for collecting material in the UK (aside
from the ones mentioned). Is there a gov. dept. that deals with this
sort of thing?

Best wishes,
James

Oxford, UK

kevin bailey wrote:

Thought I recognised that as I was reading :-)

This last paragraph 'The new trespass laws, included in the Criminal
Justice Act, allow prosecution for trespass. Permission must be
obtained, if you move off
public rights of way, to wander on private land anywhere in the UK.' is
probably overdue for revision. The problem is that I am still not
certain what the new 'right to roam' act really means. Must start
looking!

Yes we are a small island but there are still plenty of places that feel
really wild. In reality though, hardly any of it is unchanged by mans
influence. Virtually none of our original climax vegetation survives.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Richard Patefield

Why not buy them from a quarrying company?

The more I think about the morality of 'collecting', the more inclined
I am to call it 'stealing'.

Richard

kevin bailey wrote:

Thought I recognised that as I was reading :-)

This last paragraph 'The new trespass laws, included in the Criminal
Justice Act, allow prosecution for trespass. Permission must be
obtained, if you move off
public rights of way, to wander on private land anywhere in the UK.' is
probably overdue for revision. The problem is that I am still not
certain what the new 'right to roam' act really means. Must start
looking!

Yes we are a small island but there are still plenty of places that feel
really wild. In reality though, hardly any of it is unchanged by mans
influence. Virtually none of our original climax vegetation survives.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-06-2004, 01:05 AM
kevin bailey

My slant is why buy from a quarry that charges you for what they have
'stolen' under license? I'd rather gather responsibly and with
permission than add to their profits. More often than not, the material
that we desire can be gathered from the waste that industrial processes
such as slate mining have left as industrial eyesores.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Why not buy them from a quarrying company?

The more I think about the morality of 'collecting', the more inclined
I am to call it 'stealing'.

Richard

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Richard Patefield

You have a point certainly Kev and if you mean the spoil heaps of
modern industrial mining processes from active mines then I can
wholeheartedly agree with you.

This would clearly be preferable to wandering the country picking up
stones on an ad hoc basis or combing the spoil heaps of ancient and
pre and early industrial revolution mines and quarries which are well
naturalised and indeed are often contained within the boundaries of
our national parks and other protected sites.

Perhaps reclaimed or recycled stone from old buildings might be
another less ethically dubious source.

All in all, a very troubling topic morally speaking.

Were you up early, or going to bed late, Kev?

Richard

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:03:38 +0100, you wrote:

[...]

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 11:27 AM
[IBC] SLABS Carl Rosner Bonsai 0 03-06-2005 11:56 AM
[IBC] slabs Rodger Kessler Bonsai 20 30-06-2004 03:04 AM
[IBC] handmade slabs Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 19-06-2004 01:05 AM
[IBC] Hypertufa for natural rock planters and slabs kevin bailey Bonsai 0 27-07-2003 12:02 AM