Old 28-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Weird Moonflowers

Last year I harvested the seeds from the two moonflowers vines I had
growing. I took the seeds out of the pods after they dried and before
they opened up. This year I carefully planted a lot of moonflower seeds
where I need vines with morning glories as backups. Not one moonflower
seed sprouted. The only seed I got going by myself is one that had been
soaking and sprouted on a paper towel and then I planted it.

So it's late June and these things are now popping up in places I have
absolutely no idea how they got there. The first one sprouted in a
hanging basket that I put together requiring me to transplant it. Then
another one popped up right next to where I transplanted that moonflower
in the same container. And just yesterday I found one pop up in a
completely different area of the garden far from last year's vines in a
massive container that didn't come in contact with any recycled soil from
last year. I'm totally perplexed. How can you plan a garden if the
vines don't cooperate and sprout where you want them?