Old 28-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Weird Moonflowers

Last year I harvested the seeds from the two moonflowers vines I had
growing. I took the seeds out of the pods after they dried and before
they opened up. This year I carefully planted a lot of moonflower seeds
where I need vines with morning glories as backups. Not one moonflower
seed sprouted. The only seed I got going by myself is one that had been
soaking and sprouted on a paper towel and then I planted it.

So it's late June and these things are now popping up in places I have
absolutely no idea how they got there. The first one sprouted in a
hanging basket that I put together requiring me to transplant it. Then
another one popped up right next to where I transplanted that moonflower
in the same container. And just yesterday I found one pop up in a
completely different area of the garden far from last year's vines in a
massive container that didn't come in contact with any recycled soil from
last year. I'm totally perplexed. How can you plan a garden if the
vines don't cooperate and sprout where you want them?

Old 28-06-2004, 10:02 AM
gregpresley

It's possible that the seed pods shoot their seeds rather than simply drop
them. Or a bird or squirrel might have transported ripe seed. I get this
issue with bulbs - crocus and tulips come up 30 yards away from any place I
ever planted one.
.net...

Old 28-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

You must be fairly new at gardening. Your last question is too funny! :-)
There's no firm answer to your question, nor should there be. I'll say just
this: If you don't learn to recognize how small you are, as a gardener,
compared to the larger scheme of things in your yard, you won't enjoy it as
much as you should.

Suggestion - buy these books immediately: "The Essential Earthman" and "One
Man's Garden", both by Henry Mitchell. You'll thank me.

Old 29-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Bungadora

Mark Anderson

[...]

I have cantaloupes which sprouted on the lawn, nicotiana which keeps popping up
everywhere thanks to a 5 foot monster I had 3 years ago, and a large number of
unidentified plants everywhere. Flowers have seeds. Seeds grow. I also planted
about 15 different packages of seeds, many for the first time. No notes, not a
clue what is growing. There is a lesson there somewhere. 8)

It lends a sense of adventure to gardening doesn't it?

Dora2

Old 29-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bungadora" wrote in message
Mark Anderson

[...]

Dill is a favorite, too. It seems the seeds are able to survive most
anything. Fortunately, the easy availability of salmon balances the
overabundance of dill.

Old 29-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/29/04 9:51 AM, in article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Bungadora" wrote in message
Mark Anderson

[...]

I have several tomato plants sprouting in some mulch. I plan to leave them
to grow up and feed me!
Cheryl

Old 29-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Gloria Lenon

My basil does this too! showing up in odd places!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 30-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Bungadora

Cheryl Isaak
I have several tomato plants sprouting in some mulch. I plan to leave them
to grow up and feed me!
Cheryl

Gawd Cheryl! I've never had much luck with tomatoes. It's very cold here

at
night and they never seem to get going. One year I painstakingly raised
tomatoes from seed, and the ONLY ONE that actually produced tomatoes was

one
that grew itself from some compost I bought. And it grew in a 5x5x18"

window
box that was full of sweet peas too.
Dora2

I've had them sprout, but these look to be thriving.

My neighbor starts seeds in late winter and transplants them several times
before its warm enough to put them outside.

People get around it various ways. I only have a couple this year that I bought
as small seedlings - cherry tomatoes. I planted them in pots and I haul them in
every night. Same with my basil, which I grow in a pot. The temperature is
still going down below 10C every night, but I might have a rest from my labors
soon since it is nearly July.

On the hort society prize garden tour last year the veg garden seniors category
winner had a large cold frame setup in his back yard that he had made from
glass screen doors. His tomatoes were VERY productive.

Granted, I've seen people here who don't have to do anything like that at all
and still grow tomatoes and the like just fine. A lot depends on your
microclimate I guess.
Dora2

Old 30-06-2004, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:06:35 -0500, Mark Anderson
wrote:

[...]

First, forget about planning a garden. It's hopeless.
Second, to answer the question about how it happens.
I used to wonder about that too, so I got my night vision scope out one night
and went out in the garden and watched it for a while, and I got the answer. You
know those little garden gnomes you see in peoples' yards and gardens? THEY DO
IT! They're not alone, though. They seem to have some little helpers, but I
couldn't make them out too well. They looked like they might have been elves,
but they moved pretty fast. Also, there were some flying ones that might have
been fairies.
Anyway, there's your answer. They go around at night moving seeds, digging up
bulbs, and just causing all kinds of mayhem in gardens. They like to hang around
until the next morning and watch the gardeners come out to the garden and stand
there scratching their heads trying to figure out what happened.

Old 30-06-2004, 09:02 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

I think the jockey statues with the lanterns are part of the conspiracy,
too, although I don't see as many of them as I did 30-odd years ago.

Old 30-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

[...]

My grandmother had one of those - I think it hiding in someone's basement.
Never understood the attraction!
Cheryl

Old 30-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

Makes the owner feel like they're a member of the "horsey set". :-)

[IMG] code is On

Moonflowers Starlord Garden Photos 0 19-06-2007 05:30 PM
MoonFlowers Starlord Garden Photos 4 17-05-2007 02:14 AM
Best way to store seeds? Moonflowers not doing well rosebud19 Gardening 1 11-08-2006 01:09 AM
Moonflowers and cold [email protected] Gardening 2 03-10-2004 03:49 PM
Morning Glorie/Moonflowers needed!!! TOM KAN PA Gardening 6 26-05-2004 02:04 AM