Old 28-06-2004, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

Default Yucca planting

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:14:12 -0600, "DRE" wrote:

Need some advice

We have yucca that grows here wild in South Dakota; I am looking at digging
some up on a friends land and transplanting them in my area. Do they
transplant easily? I have heard they are pretty hardy. They are going from
a reddish colored soil to regular brown soil. There is lotsa sun and little
water. Any advice for me?

Yeah, I like yucca too. I've transplanted a lot of them. Don't transplant them
any place you plan to do a lot of yard work. They can draw blood when they stick
you. When they're dry the points are pretty hard, but if you keep them well
watered they're a little softer.
I have a bunch of the regular white-blooming(Adam's Needle) yucca, and one plant
of the pink-blooming yucca. The pink-blooming one isn't mature yet, so I haven't
seen it blooming yet, but it looked neat in the pictures.