Old 27-06-2004, 03:03 AM
DRE

Default Yucca planting

Need some advice

We have yucca that grows here wild in South Dakota; I am looking at digging
some up on a friends land and transplanting them in my area. Do they
transplant easily? I have heard they are pretty hardy. They are going from
a reddish colored soil to regular brown soil. There is lotsa sun and little
water. Any advice for me?

Thanks
Dan

Old 27-06-2004, 06:03 AM
gregpresley

Many types of yucca transplant fairly easily - sometimes if you yank off an
offset (a side clump to the main clump) and stick it on some moist but quick
draining soil, it will root in fairly quickly, especially if you get a few
of its own already developed roots when you yank it up. If you are digging
up a main plant, I would try to moisten the soil and get as much of the root
as possible, as well as the dirt around it - preferably all in one large
shovelful.
Make sure that you put the plant somewhere well-drained - yuccas prefer
drier, sandier, well-drained soil and usually will not make it in moist
clayey soils that stay wet or damp all the time. If you have that kind of
soil, I would probably make a pile of sand, gravel and dirt on top of your
existing soil, making a mound six inches or so higher than the main level of
soil, so that you can put the yucca there where excess water will drain
away.

Old 28-06-2004, 08:02 PM
The Watcher

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:14:12 -0600, "DRE" wrote:

Need some advice

We have yucca that grows here wild in South Dakota; I am looking at digging
some up on a friends land and transplanting them in my area. Do they
transplant easily? I have heard they are pretty hardy. They are going from
a reddish colored soil to regular brown soil. There is lotsa sun and little
water. Any advice for me?

Yeah, I like yucca too. I've transplanted a lot of them. Don't transplant them
any place you plan to do a lot of yard work. They can draw blood when they stick
you. When they're dry the points are pretty hard, but if you keep them well
watered they're a little softer.
I have a bunch of the regular white-blooming(Adam's Needle) yucca, and one plant
of the pink-blooming yucca. The pink-blooming one isn't mature yet, so I haven't
seen it blooming yet, but it looked neat in the pictures.

[IMG] code is On

Yucca tip -hardy? Sheila Richards United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 11:32 PM
Red yucca Karen Kay Texas 10 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
yucca plants---will they grow or survive if planted outdoors? HI HI- Gardening 0 25-03-2003 11:32 AM
yucca plants---will they grow or survive if planted outdoors? Cereoid+10+ Gardening 3 21-03-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] Yucca Schidigera extract lou E Bonsai 2 28-01-2003 02:13 PM