Old 29-06-2004, 12:13 AM
O3raledale

Default Wintering Koi in Pond Zone 5ish Ottawa Canada

Hi All,

Got a pond of about 2000gal. Deepest spot is 4'10" about 3 feet around. I
will have ice covering the pond for approximately 3 months in the winter.
Do I have to have an opening in the ice for gases to escape? Should I heat
the bottom of the pond or the surface?

I used an air pump with two lines connected to two air stones in my little
4x6x2.5 foot deep pond last winter. It kept about a one foot diameter hole in
the pond for the fishies and froggie to survive the harsh northeast winter we
had last year. Darn pond froze to within a few inches of the bottom. Everyone
survived. although the froggie had us wondering as he didn't show up for a
couple of weeks after the last thaw. I put a five gallon bucket over the air
pump to keep the weather off of it.
Although I must confess that I got the idea from the good people on this board.
-Pat
(thanks again guys ya all made a successful ponder outta me)