Old 29-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Chas Hurst

Default Leveling lawn?

"Srgnt Bilkoo" wrote in message
news

"Barfin' Bob" wrote in message

evolutionman 2004 wrote:
If you have only dirt to level and a power tractor, you could also

drag
short piece of railroad (rail) iron (just wider than the rear tractor
wheels) behind you (attached with strong chain); this works great and

will
level the soil.

Yeah, it will level it, alright. But assume your tractor is 48"
wide.....do you know how much a 48" section of railroad track weighs? I
don't know for sure, but would estimate 500 lbs or more.

If I read the chart right, the most popular rail would be about 170# for 4
feet. I am surprised - thought it would be even more. Wait a minute -

just
remembered I have a few pieces (about 2" long) in the weight box behind

one
of my tractors - I'll grab one tomorrow if I think of it.

Rail track is produced in different weights. I have a 18" piece I use for an
anvil, it weighs about 30 lbs.
Two common weights I have seen are 15 lbs and 20 lbs per foot.

Chas Hurst