Old 29-06-2004, 12:05 PM
---pete---

Default 1 st time easy pickle recipe

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Katra
wrote:

Easiest pickle recipe I've used for pickled Okra was to buy a jar of
Claussen's pickles, eat them, then keep the brine and drop the washed
Okra into the jar with a little extra fresh dill and leave in the
refrigerator. ;-) Picked up a wonderful flavor after about 2 weeks.

Cheating, I know, but it worked and mom loved them!

------
Yeah, I do the same thing with cucumbers and I felt like
it was cheating but I have to be honest, I've tried various
cucumber pickling recipes over the years and never
liked the way they came out. Heating the brine seems to
make the pickles mushy and I always found the brine
to be way too strong in flavor.

Question is, how can we make our own brine that is
similar to the leftover store bought pickle juice, to be
used just for making quick pickles to be kept in the
refrigerator for a month or so?

---pete---