Old 27-06-2004, 07:16 PM
ineedabiggaboat

Default 1 st time easy pickle recipe

any suggestions??
Old 28-06-2004, 11:09 PM
JRYezierski

couple quarts of water bring to boil and add kosher salt to taste.
you like salty pickles than make the brine salty,not very salty thats ok to
just less salt.
get about 10 grape leaves or so,couple of bunchs of dill
line the bottom gallon jar/crock or whatever you are going to put the cukes
in with the grape leaves,add some cukes(sliced,whole whatever)add some
dillll and garlic(if you want) ,layer this with the grape leaves.Do not be
afraid to pack them tighly,
now add the brine while it is very warm.
cover loosly,place in dark area thats not cold(otherwise it will take days
for your pickles to be ready.
Check in three days and they should be ready,if not than wait another day or
so.
Do not be alarm if there is "stuff"growing thats ok.
Grape leaves are for the alum(sp?)to keep them crisp not soggy after a few
days or so.
This is a very quick way my Bobchi did them known as quick dills or 3day
pickles.
Enjoy\
I have another one thats ready in one day that is sweeter.

"ineedabiggaboat" wrote in message
om...
Katra wrote in message

In article ,
(ineedabiggaboat) wrote:

any suggestions??

Easiest pickle recipe I've used for pickled Okra was to buy a jar of
Claussen's pickles, eat them, then keep the brine and drop the washed
Okra into the jar with a little extra fresh dill and leave in the
refrigerator. ;-) Picked up a wonderful flavor after about 2 weeks.

Cheating, I know, but it worked and mom loved them!

K.

Thats a great idea!!! What about temperature? Refrigeration? Its hot
here in LI and I dont think the garage is cool enuff yet.

Old 29-06-2004, 12:05 PM
---pete---

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:01:55 -0500, Katra
wrote:

Easiest pickle recipe I've used for pickled Okra was to buy a jar of
Claussen's pickles, eat them, then keep the brine and drop the washed
Okra into the jar with a little extra fresh dill and leave in the
refrigerator. ;-) Picked up a wonderful flavor after about 2 weeks.

------
Katra, I've also been doing as you suggested above.
I cut my cucumbers lengthwise into quarters and trim the
ends so they fit into the jars of left over pickle jiuce.
I've found that within a few days they picked up enough
flavor to eat them.

Of course, I keep them stored in the refrigerator and have
stored them a month or so. I'll keep adding new cucumbers
to that batch as I eat them, but after 2 months I throw out
the brine for fear of spoilage. Anyone know more about
the spoilage issue using this particular method?

--pete---

Old 29-06-2004, 12:05 PM
---pete---

wrote:

Easiest pickle recipe I've used for pickled Okra was to buy a jar of
Claussen's pickles, eat them, then keep the brine and drop the washed
Okra into the jar with a little extra fresh dill and leave in the
refrigerator. ;-) Picked up a wonderful flavor after about 2 weeks.

Cheating, I know, but it worked and mom loved them!

------
Yeah, I do the same thing with cucumbers and I felt like
it was cheating but I have to be honest, I've tried various
cucumber pickling recipes over the years and never
liked the way they came out. Heating the brine seems to
make the pickles mushy and I always found the brine
to be way too strong in flavor.

Question is, how can we make our own brine that is
similar to the leftover store bought pickle juice, to be
used just for making quick pickles to be kept in the
refrigerator for a month or so?

---pete---

Old 30-06-2004, 11:10 PM
JRYezierski

"---pete---" you said
Question is, how can we make our own brine that is
similar to the leftover store bought pickle juice, to be
used just for making quick pickles to be kept in the
refrigerator for a month or so?

Try this recipie you should be pleased
Pickles Quick Dill
1cup white vinegar 1/2 cup sugar
4 cups water 1/4 cup kosher salt/sea salt
Bring to boil and taste for sweetness/saltiness and adjust to your
taste.
Let cool to room temp.
1 TBL whole mustard seed 1TBL mixed whole spices (pickling spices)
Garlic cloves and onion(your personal amount) about 8 or so grape leaves
Dill (again your personal amount)
In a gallon container pack the cukes in tightly(sliced or whole with the
dill/garlic and grape leaves.
Add the bine which has the spices in it and let cool completly on counter
(so you dont crack the container)than refrigerate.
Pickles will be ready in about 2days

This may not be EXACLTLY like store bought but "Try It You'll Like It"

Your cukes get mushy as they need alum to stay crunchy. Grape leaves have
alum in them so use grape leaves instead
any type will do .I often use the wild ones growing on the edge of our
field.
Folks who try this please let me know how it came out for you.

Jerome

Old 01-07-2004, 12:02 AM
---pete---

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:05:19 -0500, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

Your cukes get mushy as they need alum to stay crunchy. Grape leaves have
alum in them so use grape leaves instead
any type will do .I often use the wild ones growing on the edge of our
field.

------
Jerome,
I'm in USA/New Jersey, where can I get grape leaves
if I don't have a source of wild ones?

---pete---

Old 01-07-2004, 12:03 AM
---pete---

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 13:10:08 -0500, Katra
wrote:

I toss the brine if it begins to get a little cloudy...
There is so much salt in there, it seems to last a good while.
I feel fairly safe refrigerating it. :-)

------
Yep, once it gets cloudy I toss it out too. That's how
I derived at the period of 1 month or so to keep the
pickles stored in the refrigerator. I still wonder what
is the safe amount of time before it spoils.

---pete---

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 AM
JRYezierski

Have any friends that grow them?
If not take a country ride,have a picnic and find them that way or ask a
friend for some and make some pickles in return for the grape leaves.
I have had crsipy pickles as late as December in my fridge from a batch I
made in October .

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Stan Goodman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:37:31 UTC, (---pete---) opined:
wrote:

Your cukes get mushy as they need alum to stay crunchy. Grape leaves have
alum in them so use grape leaves instead
any type will do .I often use the wild ones growing on the edge of our
field.

------
Jerome,
I'm in USA/New Jersey, where can I get grape leaves
if I don't have a source of wild ones?

1) There are probably fox grapes growing in the woods, if there are still
any woods left standing in New Jersey.

2) Visit an ethnic grocery catering to customers of Middle-Eastern, Greek,
or Turkish background. You can buy a whold jar full of them, intended for
use in making e.g. stuffed vine leaves. You can do yourself a great favor if
you use some of the surplus for that purpose. For recipes on how to do this,
do a Google search on "stuffed vine leaves" or "dolma" or "dolmata". Google
is a far more useful place than a gardening newsgroup for digging up
recipes. After you press the Enter key, get out of the way quickly, lest you
be deluged by the large number of hits.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:04 PM
---pete---

On 1 Jul 2004 11:16:47 GMT, "Stan Goodman"
wrote:

1) There are probably fox grapes growing in the woods, if there are still
any woods left standing in New Jersey.

2) Visit an ethnic grocery catering to customers of Middle-Eastern, Greek,
or Turkish background. You can buy a whold jar full of them, intended for
use in making e.g. stuffed vine leaves. You can do yourself a great favor if
you use some of the surplus for that purpose. For recipes on how to do this,
do a Google search on "stuffed vine leaves" or "dolma" or "dolmata". Google
is a far more useful place than a gardening newsgroup for digging up
recipes. After you press the Enter key, get out of the way quickly, lest you
be deluged by the large number of hits.

------
Ok, thanks for the info.
In any case, I can see now that it's not going
to be easy for me to find grape leaves.
grin

---pete---