Old 29-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Hal

Default High Ph

On 29 Jun 2004 01:55:13 GMT, (DavesVideo) wrote:

Hal said:

Fish keeping is best

done in water between pH 6 and pH 9.

I was going by a book that gave 6.8 to 7.6 as the range.

Fish keepers who keep fish in an aquarium can control the parameters
more closely than those with 1500 gallon ponds. I suspect your book
author was talking about aquarium maintenance. If your well water
comes out of the ground at pH 8.4 I suspect there are lakes or at
least large ponds in your area that have a pH higher than 7.6 as well.

Without a total alkalinity reading (KH) of about 100 ppm pH readings

can become meaningless and the wild pH swings may kill fish.

The alkalinity measured at about 250 ppm.

You are fortunate. I would try living with that a couple years and
see how it works out.

If you insist on lowering the pH keep checking the KH as you lower the
pH and if the KH goes too low add 1/3 pound of baking soda per 1000
gallons to raise it about a degree or close to 20 ppm.

Regards,

Hal