Old 28-06-2004, 08:09 PM
DavesVideo

Default High Ph

I'm still working on my pond and trying to stop all the leaks in the falls
and finally got around to buying a test strip kit. The water right out of the
tap has a high Ph. 8.4 is the highest it registers so that is what I have or
maybe higher. Is dumping a lot of "Ph Down" the answer? And just what is that
stuff, citric acid or something like that?

One other question, the test strip also tests for alkalinity which of
course is high. But what is the difference, if th Ph is high, of course it is
going to be alkaline, isn't that correct?

At least it is from a well and there is zero chlorine.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 28-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Nedra

Hi Dave,

Don't dump anything in your pond. If your pH is 8.4 that is near perfect
for Koi and plants. I would get a
good reading on it though. Suggest you buy a test kit that measures
pH 10 or 12.

Nedra

Old 29-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Hal

On 28 Jun 2004 18:20:03 GMT, (DavesVideo) wrote:

I'm still working on my pond and trying to stop all the leaks in the falls
and finally got around to buying a test strip kit. The water right out of the
tap has a high Ph. 8.4 is the highest it registers so that is what I have or
maybe higher. Is dumping a lot of "Ph Down" the answer? And just what is that
stuff, citric acid or something like that?

One other question, the test strip also tests for alkalinity which of
course is high. But what is the difference, if th Ph is high, of course it is
going to be alkaline, isn't that correct?

pH is a relationship between hydrogen ions that is used to determine
if the water is acid or alkaline in nature. Fish keeping is best
done in water between pH 6 and pH 9.

KH is also called total alkalinity, referring to trace mineral content
of the water that stabilizes the pH readings. (Sodium bicarbonate or
calcium being the most popular things to add to acidic water.)
Without a total alkalinity reading (KH) of about 100 ppm pH readings
can become meaningless and the wild pH swings may kill fish.

If your water from a well is pH 8.4 you probably would be better off
to live with it rather than lower the pH. Lowering the pH would be
temporary because when you lower the pH you add an acid that reacts
with the KH to remove part of it. Adding water will add KH.

If you insist on lowering the KH the most direct route and just as
safe and a lot more efficient is using Muriatic acid (31% HCl) a doses
of approximately 2 fluid ounces per 1000 gallons per day. (Add
slowly) Mix with about 5 gallons of water and use an aquarium air hose
(1/8") to siphon it into the flow of the falls or filter. Monitor
the KH daily and if it goes below 100ppm get ready to dip out the
floaters. Adding 1/3 lb of baking soda per 1000 gal. will raise the
KH by about 17 ppm.

pH of a pond with plants varies a bit overnight because the plants use
carbon dioxide during the day to produce food and release oxygen into
the water. At night the plants use oxygen and release carbon dioxide
into the water. The carbon dioxide forms carbonic acid lowering the
pH slightly in the morning. Your pond may read pH 8.4 in the morning
and as high as pH 8.8 in the evening, but that is below 9 and other
fish keepers have pH that high and healthy fish.

Regards,

Hal

Old 29-06-2004, 03:10 AM
DavesVideo

Hal said:

Fish keeping is best

done in water between pH 6 and pH 9.

I was going by a book that gave 6.8 to 7.6 as the range.

Without a total alkalinity reading (KH) of about 100 ppm pH readings

can become meaningless and the wild pH swings may kill fish.

The alkalinity measured at about 250 ppm.

Old 29-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Nedra

Throw that book out! LOL
If it wasn't written by an American pondkeeper with lots of goldfish and koi
it ain't worth nuthin' .... VBG

Old 16-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Rick

Dave, KH is a function of pH. Nothing wrong with either. Do not try to
fight the ph. It is a losing battle. I personally keep my KH greater
than 120 ppm. This promises a ph of 8.3 or 8.4. Almost no need to test.
I don't anymore. I only adjust my KH with 12 lb bags of baking soda.

Old 16-07-2004, 02:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

How big a pond Rick, and what was the pH before adding BSoda?

I've got a 1000 gallon lily pond registering 9.0, I added 4 lbs of BSoda
over 4 days and had a pH of 9.0-9.2. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/