Old 29-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Actinidia Arguta 'Issai'

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:55:59 +0100, Victoria Clare wrote:

Anyone else growing this ?

My plant (planted last autumn) has leaves and flowers, but so far it has
put out no new shoots, and the leaves look a bit on the yellow side.

I can't find any good pictures, so I'm not sure if it needs feeding (it's
had 2 good dressings of horse and chicken manure), if it needs something
else, or if it is just supposed to look like that!

Any tips most welcome.

I have the closely related Actinidia kolomikta. It took over a
decade to settle down and start growing with any vigor. My
impression is that actinidias are somewhat need good living, lots
of water and fertilizer. Mine only started to put out the
variegated foliage after I commenced a program of annual fall
fertilization of the entire garden.

Be patient, keep it from drying out, and feed it. (A balanced
liquid fertilizer might work better than manure.)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada