Old 29-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Actinidia Arguta 'Issai'

Anyone else growing this ?

My plant (planted last autumn) has leaves and flowers, but so far it has
put out no new shoots, and the leaves look a bit on the yellow side.

I can't find any good pictures, so I'm not sure if it needs feeding (it's
had 2 good dressings of horse and chicken manure), if it needs something
else, or if it is just supposed to look like that!

Any tips most welcome.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 29-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

Anyone else growing this ?

My plant (planted last autumn) has leaves and flowers, but so far it has
put out no new shoots, and the leaves look a bit on the yellow side.

I haven't grown that one, but actinidia kolomikta also does absolutely
nothing for a season or two ime. Once it has established itself it grows
like a mad thing, metres every year.

Janet.

Old 29-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:55:59 +0100, Victoria Clare wrote:

Anyone else growing this ?

My plant (planted last autumn) has leaves and flowers, but so far it has
put out no new shoots, and the leaves look a bit on the yellow side.

I can't find any good pictures, so I'm not sure if it needs feeding (it's
had 2 good dressings of horse and chicken manure), if it needs something
else, or if it is just supposed to look like that!

Any tips most welcome.

I have the closely related Actinidia kolomikta. It took over a
decade to settle down and start growing with any vigor. My
impression is that actinidias are somewhat need good living, lots
of water and fertilizer. Mine only started to put out the
variegated foliage after I commenced a program of annual fall
fertilization of the entire garden.

Be patient, keep it from drying out, and feed it. (A balanced
liquid fertilizer might work better than manure.)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 30-06-2004, 05:10 AM
Dave Poole

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:50:20 GMT, lid
(Rodger Whitlock) wrote:

My
impression is that actinidias are somewhat need good living, lots
of water and fertilizer.

Roger is right. Actinidias do need a good rich, moisture retentive
yet free draining soil to do really well. 'Issai' is an interesting
hybrid that can produce fruits without the presence of a male
pollinator. Unpollinated flowers develop seedless fruits - which
might be considered a distinct plus by some.

'Issai' needs a long growing period to crop well and is best planted
in a warm sunny, sheltered spot. It is probably the best variety for
fruiting in the UK and certainly worth considering especially in the
south. The fruit is relatively smooth skinned, the flavour is good
and the flesh is sweet.

The plant itself is bone hardy anywhere in the UK, but you need around
5 frost free months for good crops to develop. Regardless of variety,
any 'Kiwi' fruit can be persuaded to ripen (although not develop the
fullest flavour) if they are sealed in a bag or container with an
over-ripe banana or couple of apples for around 24-36 hours. Even if
the crop does not ripen on the vine, it can be harvested once fully
developed and artificially ripened with relative ease.

HTH
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.