Old 30-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Olives - Inside Or Out For Winter?

In article . net,
"Lorenzo L. Love" writes:

| Light frosts are no problem. I grew up next to an olive orchard in
| Corning, California, a town that billed itself as Olive City and has an
| olive painted on it's water tower. Winter temperatures down to the low
| 20's Fahrenheit were not unusual. Olives can take temps down to around
| 15F or -10C. You do realize that your olive plants are going to be
| fairly big trees in a few years?

Not in combination with wet and/or cold days, they can't! He should
be OK, but -5 Celcius is as low as you can risk in combination with
wet or if the days following frosts don't warm up much.

There are lots of plants hardy to -15 Celcius in the Mediterranean
or USA that are hardy to only -5 in the UK, and many parts of New
Zealand are more similar to here than there.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.