Old 27-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

Default Olives - Inside Or Out For Winter?

Hi, Everybody,

I have two small olive plants - each about a foot or so
high, in 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets.

It is winter in my part of the world right now. We
don't get snow here, but there is often a light frost
in the early mornings.

Should I generally keep them indoors overnight? Or is
there some value to leaving them outside - maybe
acclimating them to the weather or something?

Thanks in advance...

--
Guide To DIY Living
http://www.self-reliance.co.nz
Old 27-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

Antipodean Bucket Farmer wrote:
Hi, Everybody,

I have two small olive plants - each about a foot or so
high, in 10-litre (2.5 gal) buckets.

It is winter in my part of the world right now. We
don't get snow here, but there is often a light frost
in the early mornings.

Should I generally keep them indoors overnight? Or is
there some value to leaving them outside - maybe
acclimating them to the weather or something?

Thanks in advance...

Light frosts are no problem. I grew up next to an olive orchard in
Corning, California, a town that billed itself as Olive City and has an
olive painted on it's water tower. Winter temperatures down to the low
20's Fahrenheit were not unusual. Olives can take temps down to around
15F or -10C. You do realize that your olive plants are going to be
fairly big trees in a few years?

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”
Cicero

Old 30-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . net,
"Lorenzo L. Love" writes:

| Light frosts are no problem. I grew up next to an olive orchard in
| Corning, California, a town that billed itself as Olive City and has an
| olive painted on it's water tower. Winter temperatures down to the low
| 20's Fahrenheit were not unusual. Olives can take temps down to around
| 15F or -10C. You do realize that your olive plants are going to be
| fairly big trees in a few years?

Not in combination with wet and/or cold days, they can't! He should
be OK, but -5 Celcius is as low as you can risk in combination with
wet or if the days following frosts don't warm up much.

There are lots of plants hardy to -15 Celcius in the Mediterranean
or USA that are hardy to only -5 in the UK, and many parts of New
Zealand are more similar to here than there.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

olives Shazam Gardening 11 10-11-2005 10:04 AM
Olives In Containers Endangered Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 3 02-04-2005 08:08 PM
[IBC] Old Olives kevin bailey Bonsai 1 25-04-2004 10:04 AM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
Olives Steve Newport sci.agriculture 1 19-02-2003 11:09 PM