Old 30-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Default Cannot sustain wysteria

How does the top part of the plant look? Any signs of deficiencies
such as pale or yellow coloring? I haven't had any problems growing
this plant in both high and low light, obviously once it shades itself
the lower part of the plant becomes bare, but it also usually sends
horizontal shoots from the base to seek brighter areas where it will
again grow vertical. Do you use any kind of substrate fertilizers?
Like most of my rooted plants, I find I can eliminate most
deficiencies with Seachem Tabs. If you haven't tried yet, I'd suggest
placing a tab under the plant and see if things change. As far as
shadowing goes, it sounds like you have a single PC bulb over your
tank, although it's enough lighting, a single bulb does cause more
shadows than multiple bulbs, but I don't know I'd suggest anyone to
change their lighting to grow wisteria ;-) Perhaps thinning out the
top part and any surrounding plants may help the situation. I wouldn't
however blame lighting on any algae growth, although the base of the
stem may become bare from insufficient lighting, algae is growing
because of other reasons, could be that there are no critters that eat
that kind of algae or an imbalance in your nutrients... You know the
usual stuff... Raising CO2 may certainly help.

What are your NO3 and FE levels?

I have found CSM on it's own to cause more green spot algae than some
other products I've used in the past, I've since mixed CSM, Flourish
and Flourish FE in equal proportions. Once I finish my lifetime supply
of CSM I plan to go back to mixing TMG and Flourish as that seemed to
give me the best results. Obviously your milage may vary...

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio
www.podio.com

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message ...
||| 29g, press. CO2, 65W PCF, new bulbs.
||| pH 7.0 adjusted to 7.0 + Co2, added 1TBSp of Baking soda to raise
||| back to
||| 7.0
|| So your ph is 7 before or after adding co2?
|| If after then don't add more Baking soda.

Yep, because the kH is almost nothing, add CO2, and the buffer is all used
up, pH crash inevitable....

||| gH - 3 yeilding 18ppn CO2
|| You mean KH?

Yeah, duh?!?!?!? DOH!!! kH is 3 after adding the BS back to raise the pH up
from 6.2 or somewhere....

|| Turn up your co2 a bit to try and hit as close to 25-30ppm.
||| Dosing PMDD, 3x weekly - I've used this, and never questioned, but
||| the contents are from Aqua aka, Dominic... good stuff....
|| Keep using it...maybe dose 4 times instead of three.

Yeah, I've thought about that.. maybe adding some to the next mixture...
upping my NO3 in the PMDD and see what happens from there...

|| The only thing I can suggest is that you need more NO3 and possibly
|| more space around the wisteria, they really branch out once they get
|| going. Make sure this plant is not under the Moneywort as
|| Wisteria seems to like loads of light. As with me some plants just
|| don't do well in certain combinations. Concentrate on the plants
|| that are doing well, possibly ditch the wisteria for the moment. You
|| can always purchase the plant again at a later stage for a second
|| chance. Sorry I can't be more informative than this. Perhaps Mr,
|| Barr or Gadd can chime in. Good luck!

They are a Godsend.. I've taken a bit from each and surmized that you may be
on to something... Tom mentioned that my NO3 may need upping, and maybe
something else... but a re arranging may help it... it was the lower/shaded
sections that grew the hair... shade may be it's enemy....

--
| RedForeman ©® fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!!
| 2003 TRX450ES
| 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
| '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....

is that better??