Old 30-06-2004, 09:20 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Cannot sustain wysteria

|| How does the top part of the plant look? Any signs of deficiencies
|| such as pale or yellow coloring? I haven't had any problems growing
|| this plant in both high and low light, obviously once it shades
|| itself
|| the lower part of the plant becomes bare, but it also usually sends
|| horizontal shoots from the base to seek brighter areas where it will
|| again grow vertical. Do you use any kind of substrate fertilizers?
|| Like most of my rooted plants, I find I can eliminate most
|| deficiencies with Seachem Tabs. If you haven't tried yet, I'd suggest
|| placing a tab under the plant and see if things change. As far as
|| shadowing goes, it sounds like you have a single PC bulb over your
|| tank, although it's enough lighting, a single bulb does cause more
|| shadows than multiple bulbs, but I don't know I'd suggest anyone to
|| change their lighting to grow wisteria ;-) Perhaps thinning out the
|| top part and any surrounding plants may help the situation. I
|| wouldn't
|| however blame lighting on any algae growth, although the base of the
|| stem may become bare from insufficient lighting, algae is growing
|| because of other reasons, could be that there are no critters that
|| eat
|| that kind of algae or an imbalance in your nutrients... You know the
|| usual stuff... Raising CO2 may certainly help.
|| What are your NO3 and FE levels?
|| I have found CSM on it's own to cause more green spot algae than some
|| other products I've used in the past, I've since mixed CSM, Flourish
|| and Flourish FE in equal proportions. Once I finish my lifetime
|| supply
|| of CSM I plan to go back to mixing TMG and Flourish as that seemed to
|| give me the best results. Obviously your milage may vary...
|| Hope that helps
|| Giancarlo Podio
|| www.podio.com

The lighting probably isn't enough to sustain the 'amount' of wysteria I
had, so I thinned it out... There was great growth from the top, and it
doubled in size in 2 weeks, but in that 2weeks, the bottom half of it became
covered in hair... the top, bright color, no yellowing or discoloration....
very nice... I didn't even notice the algae for the 2nd week because the top
was catching my eyes it was so pretty...

Tabs, yep, I've used them, but haven't recently... I used to put them under
my amazons, but have since moved them out...
I'm dosing with PMDD, and have flourite as the base...NO3 usually isn't very
high at all, sometimes its near 25ppm, and rarely over 40ppm *if I'm
remembering correctly* and still waiting for the Iron test... :-( I've
decided to have the LFS test for it....

--
| RedForeman ©® fabricator and creator of the ratbike streetfighter!!!
| 2003 TRX450ES
| 1992 TRX-350 XX (For Sale)
| '98 Tacoma Ext Cab 4X4 Lifted....
| for any questions you may have....