Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Stan Goodman

Default 1 st time easy pickle recipe

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:37:31 UTC, (---pete---) opined:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:05:19 -0500, "JRYezierski"
wrote:

Your cukes get mushy as they need alum to stay crunchy. Grape leaves have
alum in them so use grape leaves instead
any type will do .I often use the wild ones growing on the edge of our
field.

------
Jerome,
I'm in USA/New Jersey, where can I get grape leaves
if I don't have a source of wild ones?

1) There are probably fox grapes growing in the woods, if there are still
any woods left standing in New Jersey.

2) Visit an ethnic grocery catering to customers of Middle-Eastern, Greek,
or Turkish background. You can buy a whold jar full of them, intended for
use in making e.g. stuffed vine leaves. You can do yourself a great favor if
you use some of the surplus for that purpose. For recipes on how to do this,
do a Google search on "stuffed vine leaves" or "dolma" or "dolmata". Google
is a far more useful place than a gardening newsgroup for digging up
recipes. After you press the Enter key, get out of the way quickly, lest you
be deluged by the large number of hits.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.