Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Larry Blanchard

Default Zucchini problem

In article ,
says...
This is a yellow zucchini. It's growing vigorously with an abundance of
flowers and zucs, but many of the zucs start turning mushy when the flowers
fade. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

They're not getting pollinated. The blooms with the baby
zucchini are female, the ones without are male. Break off a
male bloom, expose the pistil, and rub it on the female stamens.
Yep, you're artificially inseminating a plant :-).

I seem to have better luck if the male bloom is from a different
plant than the female bloom.

And the blooms are short-lived so you should check every day.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?