Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Martin

Default Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves

Graham Dixon wrote:
Using a watering can with a fine spray, I've just given a foliar feed
to my Tomatoes (In grow bags) and Potatotos (In tubs) and Rhubarb (In
the ground) Winding their wa btween the bags and the tubs are
Nasturtiums - The Tomatoe/ potato / and rhubarb leaves all accept a
damn good soaking but the Nasturtiums repel every drop of water.

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium
leaves?

Graham

Yes!

In China it is known as the Lotus Blossom effect. The leaf surface is
constructed in such a way as to cause air to be trapped under any water
which lands on it, and so a relatively low proportion of the water is
actually in contact with the leaf surface. We are experimenting with this
technology on the surface of paper and fabrics to give a natural water
repellancy without excessive addition of unpleasant or expensive chemicals.
Nature has much to teach us!

Martin