Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Graham Dixon

Default Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves

Using a watering can with a fine spray, I've just given a foliar feed to my
Tomatoes (In grow bags) and Potatotos (In tubs) and Rhubarb (In the ground)
Winding their wa btween the bags and the tubs are Nasturtiums - The Tomatoe/
potato / and rhubarb leaves all accept a damn good soaking but the
Nasturtiums repel every drop of water.

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium leaves?

Graham

Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:22:58 +0000 (UTC), Graham Dixon wrote:

Using a watering can with a fine spray, I've just given a foliar feed to my
Tomatoes (In grow bags) and Potatotos (In tubs) and Rhubarb (In the ground)
Winding their wa btween the bags and the tubs are Nasturtiums - The Tomatoe/
potato / and rhubarb leaves all accept a damn good soaking but the
Nasturtiums repel every drop of water.

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium leaves?

I think it's tiny little ridges or peaks on the surface, similar to the
cabbage and water-lilly leaves. It stops drops clinging and lets the water
run off which keeps the leaves clean.

--
Tim C.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Martin

Graham Dixon wrote:
Using a watering can with a fine spray, I've just given a foliar feed
to my Tomatoes (In grow bags) and Potatotos (In tubs) and Rhubarb (In
the ground) Winding their wa btween the bags and the tubs are
Nasturtiums - The Tomatoe/ potato / and rhubarb leaves all accept a
damn good soaking but the Nasturtiums repel every drop of water.

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium
leaves?

Graham

Yes!

In China it is known as the Lotus Blossom effect. The leaf surface is
constructed in such a way as to cause air to be trapped under any water
which lands on it, and so a relatively low proportion of the water is
actually in contact with the leaf surface. We are experimenting with this
technology on the surface of paper and fabrics to give a natural water
repellancy without excessive addition of unpleasant or expensive chemicals.
Nature has much to teach us!

Martin

Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:41:43 +0100, Martin wrote:

We are experimenting with this
technology on the surface of paper and fabrics to give a natural water
repellancy without excessive addition of unpleasant or expensive chemicals.
Nature has much to teach us!

Unfortunately, creating such surfaces usually involves etching or high
technology which ultimately produces loads of horrible chemicals too. :-(

--
Tim C.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Dave Poole

wrote:

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium leaves?

Many plants produce natural waxes and oils. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum
proper) coat their leaves with water repellant, tiny wax scales to
prevent excessive transpiration and therefore help the plant through
periods of drought. They also reflect back sunlight to prevent
burning and this is an adaptation adopted by many plants, which live
in very exposed situations - sic. Carnations.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Old 02-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Les &/or Claire

wrote:

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium
leaves?

Brassicas too, my sprouts do the same thing.Very odd trying to rinse the
tops in the sink before cooking.

Les

Many plants produce natural waxes and oils. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum
proper) coat their leaves with water repellant, tiny wax scales to
prevent excessive transpiration and therefore help the plant through
periods of drought. They also reflect back sunlight to prevent
burning and this is an adaptation adopted by many plants, which live
in very exposed situations - sic. Carnations.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 02-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Martin

Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:41:43 +0100, Martin wrote:

We are experimenting with this
technology on the surface of paper and fabrics to give a natural
water repellancy without excessive addition of unpleasant or
expensive chemicals. Nature has much to teach us!

Unfortunately, creating such surfaces usually involves etching or high
technology which ultimately produces loads of horrible chemicals too.
:-(

Usually.......but not always!

Martin

Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Douglas

wrote:

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium leaves?

Many plants produce natural waxes and oils. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum
proper) coat their leaves with water repellant, tiny wax scales to
prevent excessive transpiration and therefore help the plant through
periods of drought. They also reflect back sunlight to prevent
burning and this is an adaptation adopted by many plants, which live
in very exposed situations - sic. Carnations.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

******
You want to encourage nasturtiums by applying fert'lizer to the leaves?.
My experience has been that they don't need even the slightest
encouragement!.
Their tendency is to take over and dominate - even up here in the
North-west. However I think they could be useful as a backcloth if that is
wanted, - no one can accuse them of failing to put on a good show.
Doug.
******

Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Glen Able

"Douglas" wrote in message

You want to encourage nasturtiums by applying fert'lizer to the leaves?.
My experience has been that they don't need even the slightest
encouragement!.
Their tendency is to take over and dominate - even up here in the
North-west. However I think they could be useful as a backcloth if that is
wanted, - no one can accuse them of failing to put on a good show.
Doug.

Had an interesting experience last year when I grew one of the large
variegated varieties in a couple of different spots:

Some went in some nice compost in tubs. They grew really large and sprawly,
the leaves were big and very lush green with weak markings. They were
greatly troubled by aphids and large white caterpillars.

The others went in some impoverished rocky soil near a privet hedge. These
ones turned out really neat and compact. They had tiny leaves (about a
third the size of the others). The variegations were far stronger, a
handsome mix of dark green/white and intermediate shades. The flowers were
also smaller but numerous and they carried on flowering for ages and ages.
Also I never saw any pests on them at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't ever put compost/fertiliser anywhere near nasturtiums
again!

G.A.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Mike Lyle

"Glen Able" wrote in message ...
"Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

They're famous for liking a poor site.

Mike.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

nasturtiums

They're famous for liking a poor site.

Not true!! They *love* a fertile site - put out lots of healthy green
leaves with very little need to bother with flowering and seed
dispersal.

It's because they hate poor soil that they're flowering their socks off
in order to get their seeds to somewhere more congenial.

--
Kay

Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
BAC

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Mike Lyle
writes

nasturtiums

They're famous for liking a poor site.

Not true!! They *love* a fertile site - put out lots of healthy green
leaves with very little need to bother with flowering and seed
dispersal.

It's because they hate poor soil that they're flowering their socks off
in order to get their seeds to somewhere more congenial.

I think Mike meant they are famous for performing to most people's liking in
poor soils. In my experience, they'll grow almost anywhere in the garden, as
long as conditions are damp enough for seed germination.

Reverting to the initial topic of the thread, their leaves do seem to shed
water quickly, and are therefore difficult to 'wet', but I reckon Lady's
Mantle leaves are perhaps even more waterproof.

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM