Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Douglas

Default Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:22:58 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dixon"
wrote:

Does anyone know what natural waterproofing occurs on Nasturtium leaves?

Many plants produce natural waxes and oils. Nasturtiums (Tropaeolum
proper) coat their leaves with water repellant, tiny wax scales to
prevent excessive transpiration and therefore help the plant through
periods of drought. They also reflect back sunlight to prevent
burning and this is an adaptation adopted by many plants, which live
in very exposed situations - sic. Carnations.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

******
You want to encourage nasturtiums by applying fert'lizer to the leaves?.
My experience has been that they don't need even the slightest
encouragement!.
Their tendency is to take over and dominate - even up here in the
North-west. However I think they could be useful as a backcloth if that is
wanted, - no one can accuse them of failing to put on a good show.
Doug.
******