Old 02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Glen Able

Default Whyi is it impossible to wet Nasturtium leaves

"Douglas" wrote in message

You want to encourage nasturtiums by applying fert'lizer to the leaves?.
My experience has been that they don't need even the slightest
encouragement!.
Their tendency is to take over and dominate - even up here in the
North-west. However I think they could be useful as a backcloth if that is
wanted, - no one can accuse them of failing to put on a good show.
Doug.

Had an interesting experience last year when I grew one of the large
variegated varieties in a couple of different spots:

Some went in some nice compost in tubs. They grew really large and sprawly,
the leaves were big and very lush green with weak markings. They were
greatly troubled by aphids and large white caterpillars.

The others went in some impoverished rocky soil near a privet hedge. These
ones turned out really neat and compact. They had tiny leaves (about a
third the size of the others). The variegations were far stronger, a
handsome mix of dark green/white and intermediate shades. The flowers were
also smaller but numerous and they carried on flowering for ages and ages.
Also I never saw any pests on them at all.

Anyway, I wouldn't ever put compost/fertiliser anywhere near nasturtiums
again!

G.A.