Old 02-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Colbyt

Default Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

Since the original Poster is satisfied I will attempt a hijack : )
I am in the process of building a brick grilling island in my backyard

that
will be feed from a propane stub.

The structure shape is not yet "set -in -stone" so to speak because I have
questions regarding the grilling area.
First I assume the grill needs to be at least lined with firebrick, bur I
wonder, how many layers, and do I need a special mortar?
Second, can I build a burner out of say, black iron pipe? Or would I be
better off buying a pre-made burner...
I.E, what kind of danger(s) do I present myself with a home made burner? (
which I could make to fit the grill size I want?
Thanks for any input.

Brandon

Firebrick uses a special mortar. I can't say for sure whether you need
firebick or not.
A single layer is all that any modern fireplace has. No way you would need
more.

Your home-made burner should work. At least they work great with natural
gas. A premade cast iron one will last forever. SS will last about 3
years. At least that is the longest any ever lasted me when used once or
twice a week 48 weeks a year.

Colbyt