Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
DT

Default Vinagar Herbacide?

The stuff you put on salad is usually about 5 % acidity, which has a mass
percentage of between 4.0% and 5.5% acetic acid. The stuff at Lowe's has
much more acetic acid. Vinegar is a weak acid, and is relatively safe when
used in low concentration (i.e., you can eat it). The 20 % acidity material
will be a strong lachrymator and skin irritant. Do not use Muratic Acid,
a.k.a. Hydrochloric Acid. This is a strong acid and it will do harm to you
and the environment.

Derek

"Tyler Hopper" wrote in message

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:35:17 UTC, "Tyler Hopper"
opined:

"Laser6328" wrote in message
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a

herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the

source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

Perhaps it was 20% Acetic Acid. Acidity is measured by pH.

I'm admittedly no chemist. However, the label clearly stated 20% acidity.

I just
check a bottle in the pantry and it states 9% acidity.

Tyler