Old 28-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Laser6328

Default Vinagar Herbacide?

About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

Thanks,

Ed Upshaw
Anna Maria Island,
A quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem.
Old 30-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Laser6328" wrote in message
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

Tyler

Old 01-07-2004, 05:03 AM
how

"Sunflower" wrote in message
.. .
snipped other mostly true stuff
It's not organic either.

Hi,
Vinegar is an organic acid.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Stan Goodman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 16:22:43 UTC, "Sunflower"
opined:

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101cb1eba3b9aca001496fa77.1cb1f05@p mug.org...
writes:
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a
herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the

source.

I've used vinegar on a limited basis, mostly on walkways for the weeds
growing through the cracks. It has worked very well. What I like best is
that it's completely non-toxic.

Um, no it isn't non toxic. It's extremly toxic to soil biota as well as to
plants. If it weren't toxic, it wouldn't work. Admittedly, most of the

Lots of things are toxic to insects, or various kinds of bacteria, or
yeasts, that are not toxic to vertebrates. I think the questioner probably
understood that a pesticide must be toxic to the pest, and probably meant to
ask if vinegar would harm the plants or humans. As fallen fruit generates
vinegar (probably beneficial to the plant as a natural insecticide), and
many members of genus Homo use vinegar on salads, the answer would seem to
be obvious.

herbicide action is because of it's phytotoxicity, which is why you get
regrowth that must be retreated.

It's also darn dangerous to humans if you get it in your eyes, and I
wouldn't want to handle it without gloves either.

A whole industry needs to be closed down.

It's not organic either.

This will be news to vintners who permit air to reach their wine.

Or without negative effect on the soil.

See above. Nevertheless, it is not a good idea to drench the garden with
acetic acid. If you have done so inadvertently, follow with a dressing of
lime, which will turn it into calcium acetate, and rescue the pH.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Stan Goodman

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:35:17 UTC, "Tyler Hopper"
opined:

"Laser6328" wrote in message
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

Perhaps it was 20% Acetic Acid. Acidity is measured by pH.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Laser6328" wrote in message
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a

herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

Perhaps it was 20% Acetic Acid. Acidity is measured by pH.

I'm admittedly no chemist. However, the label clearly stated 20% acidity. I just
check a bottle in the pantry and it states 9% acidity.

Tyler

Old 01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Stan Goodman

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:53:38 UTC, "Tyler Hopper" opined:

"Laser6328" wrote in message
About a month ago there was a thread here about using vinagar as a

herbacide.
I cought the thread late in the discussion and so did not read the source.

Who came up with the idea?
How strong a solution?
What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

Perhaps it was 20% Acetic Acid. Acidity is measured by pH.

I'm admittedly no chemist. However, the label clearly stated 20% acidity. I just
check a bottle in the pantry and it states 9% acidity.

I'm sure it is labelled as you say.

Whatever it says, "xx% acidity" has no meaning in the real world. The only
possible intent must be "xx% acetic acid".

It is as if whiskey manufacturers would label the product "40% drunkeness"
instead of "40% alcohol" or a proof rating, in the belief that semi-literate
purchasers would find that more meaningful.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:04 AM
Dee Jay

Stan Goodman wrote:
It is as if whiskey manufacturers would label the product "40%
drunkeness" instead of "40% alcohol" or a proof rating, in the belief
that semi-literate purchasers would find that more meaningful.

Wouldn't it be more akin to calling rubbing alcohol "100% alcohol" as
opposed to "100% isopropyl alcohol"?

Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Stan Goodman

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 23:12:21 UTC, "Dee Jay" opined:
Stan Goodman wrote:
It is as if whiskey manufacturers would label the product "40%
drunkeness" instead of "40% alcohol" or a proof rating, in the belief
that semi-literate purchasers would find that more meaningful.

Wouldn't it be more akin to calling rubbing alcohol "100% alcohol" as
opposed to "100% isopropyl alcohol"?

Calling the product e.g. "100% acid" would be like calling the rubbing
alcohol "100% alcohol", and would be equally misleading and equally
uninformative. Calling it "100% acidity" (or whatever number) doesn't make
any sense at all, no matter how you slice it.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Kawika

What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

a word of caution if using muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) - the
description as labled probably is 20 baume (specific gravity) 20% acid
by weight...use caution when using it as it will burn your skin and
don't breathe in the vapors or any vapors that are emitted when or if
it comes into contact with anything. very nasty stuff - it even eats
up steel!!!
Old 02-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Tyler Hopper

"Kawika" wrote in message

What about other acids, ie Muratic?

I saw it at Lowe's a few weeks back. I think it was 20% acidity.

a word of caution if using muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) - the
description as labled probably is 20 baume (specific gravity) 20% acid
by weight...use caution when using it as it will burn your skin and
don't breathe in the vapors or any vapors that are emitted when or if
it comes into contact with anything. very nasty stuff - it even eats
up steel!!!

It was vinegar.

Tyler

Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
DT

The stuff you put on salad is usually about 5 % acidity, which has a mass
percentage of between 4.0% and 5.5% acetic acid. The stuff at Lowe's has
much more acetic acid. Vinegar is a weak acid, and is relatively safe when
used in low concentration (i.e., you can eat it). The 20 % acidity material
will be a strong lachrymator and skin irritant. Do not use Muratic Acid,
a.k.a. Hydrochloric Acid. This is a strong acid and it will do harm to you
and the environment.

Derek

Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article ,
"how" wrote:

"Sunflower" wrote in message
.. .
snipped other mostly true stuff
It's not organic either.

Hi,
Vinegar is an organic acid.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Belladonna is an organic alkaloid. It's from the Foxglove plant -- a
gorgeous plant.

Both are useful, if used properly.

29% of modern pharmeceuticals are plant derivitatives. Used wisely,
they're wonderful. Used improperly, they can kill people. *shrug*

We're doing trials here at my house using 20% acetic acid on cow
parsnip, which is invasive in my area. (We call it "push' -key " which
is a borrowed word from the Russian fur traders who showed up in this
neighborhood about 150 years ago. The Russians married the Aleut gals,
so our local dialect is full of "borrowed" words from Russia.)

Jan, in southcentral Alaska