Old 04-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Gail Futoran

Default REMEDY FOR BLACK SPOTS!

"honey-do" wrote in message
I recently read an article in an organic magazine that

suggested using
Baking Soda and horticulture oil as a remedy for black

spots on roses.

Has anyone tried this, or do you know of a remedy that

might work? I
have tried many fungicides including dormant sprays and

still have a
HUGE problem.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/diseases/blackspot

That said, how huge a problem? Are your roses
losing their leaves and dying due to blackspot,
or is it that you just don't like the looks of
blackspotted leaves?

That's not a trivial (or insulting) question. Some
people require perfect rose bushes and are
willing to do whatever it takes to achieve &
maintain that perfection. Others - like me - ignore
minor (& sometimes major) imperfections. I don't
spray for anything and I have a great number
of different types of roses, modern as well as
antique, grafted as well as own root. Some roses
get a lot of blackspot (but don't die of it), some
roses get very little. None of it bothers me
particularly.

Read the ARS article carefully. There are some
cautions.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8