Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Curly Sue

Default Lavender - what am I doing wrong?

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:40:43 -0500, "Brigitte J."
wrote:

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

I've had variable luck with lavender planted in the same location. I
have one plant that is going strong (and with beautiful flowers) after
3 years. It even recovered after this particularly cold winter (zone
6). It died down, I thought I lost it, but in the spring it took off
and looks better than ever probably because the cold acted like a hard
pruning. I planted a different variety nearby that didn't make it
even *to* the winter. This spring I bought another 3 different
varieties as small plants. None are growing really well, though they
are not withering either. One did bring up a few flowers; I suspect
it is the same variety as my big one.

Unfortunately, as I am going to have to have my front porch rebuilt,
these plants will have to be moved temporarily. I hope the big one,
at least, survives.

So, just wait until next year and see what happens!

Sue(tm)