Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Brigitte J.

Default Lavender - what am I doing wrong?

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Gaby Chaudry

Brigitte,

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

What you need is patience...
My lavender had to stand a cold winter before blooming and growing fast this
year (I'm in zone 6). I'm not sure whether it'll survive in zone 5 (oh, a
rhyme, a rhyme!), you may need a bit of protection in winter. But I'm sure
it'll bloom next year then.

Best wishes
Gaby

--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder/

Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Blues Ma

"Brigitte J." wrote:

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring.* They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers.* Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Brigitte

What variety are they and where did you get them ?
I've had three from Kelly nurseries in the ground since mid May and they
don't appear to be getting any higher than 6 or 7 inches and not even
hinting at a bloom.
Maybe they're just too young ?

Ma
*
*

Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Curly Sue

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:40:43 -0500, "Brigitte J."
wrote:

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

I've had variable luck with lavender planted in the same location. I
have one plant that is going strong (and with beautiful flowers) after
3 years. It even recovered after this particularly cold winter (zone
6). It died down, I thought I lost it, but in the spring it took off
and looks better than ever probably because the cold acted like a hard
pruning. I planted a different variety nearby that didn't make it
even *to* the winter. This spring I bought another 3 different
varieties as small plants. None are growing really well, though they
are not withering either. One did bring up a few flowers; I suspect
it is the same variety as my big one.

Unfortunately, as I am going to have to have my front porch rebuilt,
these plants will have to be moved temporarily. I hope the big one,
at least, survives.

So, just wait until next year and see what happens!

Sue(tm)
Old 04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Brigitte

It took my lavender one year from seed to plant outdoors, and another
year before they flowered. The ones in full sun will eventually bloom
for you. They will do best if you refrain from feeding and watering.
although I have feed mine with extra diluted fish emulsion.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
gregpresley

It might be wise to consider the general rule of thumb of perennials - "The
first year they SLEEP - the second year, they CREEP, and the third year,
they LEAP".

Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Christopher Fuhrman

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

I'm in Montreal, which I think is zone 4 based on the proximity to upper
NY/Vermont states and the zones there. In the spring of 2003, I bought two
types of "hardy" lavender grown in Canada. Given that it's sold here as
"hardy" I expected it to survive the winters here (not in a greenhouse)!
Hardy is relative, after all.

Both types thrived over the summer and even flowered. I was fairly pleased.
However, only one of the two types survived last winter. They were both
planted in relatively the same spots, and I had three plants of each kind.
The plastic tag in the plants that survived said " Lavandula Angustifolia
'Hidcode' ". The ones that didn't survive were called Lavandula Heterophylla
'Goodwin Creek', which was a variety whose leaves were more grayish (and
fuzzy) in color. The dead plants were very dry and woody when I finally
pulled them out in the spring. My wife said the plastic tags resembled
"tombstones".

This spring I tried to buy more of the 'hidcote' variety, although I
couldn't find it exactly. The new lavender haven't yet shown signs of
thriving this summer, but they don't look sick. I bought a few new
perennials this spring; some are doing very well, some ok, some look
shocked. I think it depends on many things -- the soil, the plant's health
prior to transplanting, the weather after transplanting, etc.

Finally, the flowering I got from last year's 'hidcote' lavender is
spectacular this summer! It actually resembles the beauty of the plant on
the plastic tag!

Hang in there -- good luck with your lavender.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Salty Thumb

"Brigitte J." wrote in news:4nWFc.7246$tU.1161
@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

Thanks,
Brigitte

I have heard that lavender grows very slowly.

My lavender angustfolia (?) started from seed this spring is 5 inches high
(compared to the tomatoes started around the same time at 5 feet and
already making babies.)

The smell is quite girly. I wonder if it was such a good idea.

(SE Virginia)