Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
J.Caldwell

Default Question on Phlox as ground cover

The math looks good but that is a whole lot of creeping phlox. Off hand, I
think that unless you have a full acre plot with a wide vista, that's a bit
much. Here in northern Illinois creeping phlox is used as a spring time
accent plant. Only commercial locations or botanic gardens have 625 square
feet of phlox in one plot. I agree that it looks beautiful but it sounds a
bit excessive. Just a thought. It's your garden.
"john" wrote in message
I'm looking to kill the grass on a hill that I'm tired of cutting. A
local garden center here suggested phlox as a good ground cover for
the area (southeast Wisconsin).

However, the hill is 25 feet by 25 feet. The planting suggestions I
found on a garden website say that the plant grows between 12 to 18
inches around, so plant them 18 inches apart.

With my area, I come up with 17 rows and 17 colums roughly. That
would equate to 289 plants? Seems like a lot for this area, though
the math seems right.

Am I missing something about figuring area and planting requirements?

Thanks