Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Broadback

Default Dilemna

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Dave Poole" wrote in message

Oh dear, I've just been watering outside and have realised that

tucked

behind a Canary Island Date palm in the corner of the garden, is a
wasp's nest. There is so much undergrowth that its impossible to

see

exactly where it is, but the constant stream of wasps going in and

out

is sufficient proof. Now what to do about it. I'm always very glad
to see wasps in the garden - especially at this time of year because
they are far more effective at controlling caterpillars than any
insecticide.

However, to have them actually nest in the garden where they can
become very troublesome later in the year gives me great cause for
concern. I would love to be able to leave them be and allow them

remain for the time being, but the longer I leave them, the bigger

the

nest and the wasp population will increase dramatically. Looks a
though I'll have to go out with a torch and a suitable wasp killer

one

night very soon. I'm not looking forward to it, but the constant
stream from a large population will effectively make a good portion

of

the garden a no-go area since I have to cross their flight path

You can't have your cake and eat it.
Are you nor being selfish, expecting them to labour on your behalf,
and yet denying them s little lebensraum?
Why not let them live in peace in what sounds like a reasonably remote
corner of your garden?

Franz

Wasps never bothered me until I received multiple stings twice about a
month apart, I am now very allergic to them. As I have a large, and in
parts unkempt garden I always have wasps nests about. However unless
they are position so that I am almost certain to be stung I leave them
alone.

On the odd occasion that I feel they must go I get the local council to
deal with them. Here they do not charge (Staffordshire Boro.) or at
least last time I used them, also I am retired, that may make a
difference to their charging.