Old 05-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Dave Poole

Default Dilemna

Oh dear, I've just been watering outside and have realised that tucked
behind a Canary Island Date palm in the corner of the garden, is a
wasp's nest. There is so much undergrowth that its impossible to see
exactly where it is, but the constant stream of wasps going in and out
is sufficient proof. Now what to do about it. I'm always very glad
to see wasps in the garden - especially at this time of year because
they are far more effective at controlling caterpillars than any
insecticide.

However, to have them actually nest in the garden where they can
become very troublesome later in the year gives me great cause for
concern. I would love to be able to leave them be and allow them to
remain for the time being, but the longer I leave them, the bigger the
nest and the wasp population will increase dramatically. Looks a
though I'll have to go out with a torch and a suitable wasp killer one
night very soon. I'm not looking forward to it, but the constant
stream from a large population will effectively make a good portion of
the garden a no-go area since I have to cross their flight path

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Basia Kulesz

Użytkownik "Dave Poole" napisał w wiadomo¶ci
| Oh dear, I've just been watering outside and have realised that tucked
| behind a Canary Island Date palm in the corner of the garden, is a
| wasp's nest. Now what to do about it.

| However, to have them actually nest in the garden where they can
| become very troublesome later in the year gives me great cause for
| concern.
|constant
| stream from a large population will effectively make a good portion of
| the garden a no-go area since I have to cross their flight path

Well. I have at this very moment a wasps' nest just above the door in my
garden shed (inside, that is). Likewise, there are remains of several old
nests inside on the walls (last year's and even older). I have never been
bitten by a wasp and it seems that they and I alike adhere to the principle
of "live and let live". Personally, I rather like the buzzing;-)

Regards,Basia.

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Franz Heymann

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
[...]

You can't have your cake and eat it.
Are you nor being selfish, expecting them to labour on your behalf,
and yet denying them s little lebensraum?
Why not let them live in peace in what sounds like a reasonably remote
corner of your garden?

Franz

Old 05-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Broadback

Franz Heymann wrote:

"Dave Poole" wrote in message

[...]

Wasps never bothered me until I received multiple stings twice about a
month apart, I am now very allergic to them. As I have a large, and in
parts unkempt garden I always have wasps nests about. However unless
they are position so that I am almost certain to be stung I leave them
alone.

On the odd occasion that I feel they must go I get the local council to
deal with them. Here they do not charge (Staffordshire Boro.) or at
least last time I used them, also I am retired, that may make a
difference to their charging.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

You can't have your cake and eat it.
Are you nor being selfish, expecting them to labour on your behalf,
and yet denying them s little lebensraum?
Why not let them live in peace in what sounds like a reasonably remote
corner of your garden?

If you've seen the pics of Dave's garden on the urg ring, you'll realise
that no part of it could be described as remote!
--
Kay

Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dave Poole" wrote in message ...
[...]

Wasp Grubs are fabulous fishing bait, especially for Chub, and the inside of
the nest makes good Groundbait too. With a wasp nest (without the wasps) you
are certain to have a good days fishing.
Problem is in a smallish garden that is the pride and joy of the owner do
you want some local fisherman lighting a fire with lots of smoke and then
going at the nest with a spade in the resulting fog.

Try your local council Pest Control Officer, it might be a safer bet, garden
wise. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Rod

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:34:30 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

However, to have them actually nest in the garden where they can
become very troublesome later in the year gives me great cause for
concern. I would love to be able to leave them be and allow them to
remain for the time being, but the longer I leave them, the bigger the
nest and the wasp population will increase dramatically. Looks a
though I'll have to go out with a torch and a suitable wasp killer one
night very soon. I'm not looking forward to it, but the constant
stream from a large population will effectively make a good portion of
the garden a no-go area since I have to cross their flight path

Even in your tight space I think I'd try and live with them, they are
not normally aggressive - even if you're crossing their flight path.
So long as you are not lingering in the flight path doing anything
noisy or sweaty, that might be seen by them as threatening you should
be OK. Later on of course you'll have to check those sticky cakes
before you pop them in your mouth {;~))
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

You can't have your cake and eat it.
Are you nor being selfish, expecting them to labour on your behalf,
and yet denying them s little lebensraum?
Why not let them live in peace in what sounds like a reasonably remote
corner of your garden?

I don't think there are any "remote" corners in David's amazing
garden, but there is a big banana, and wasps might well become a pain in
the arse. (Was the vicar's famous visit to view the banana recorded in
urg or EG? Still makes me laugh).

If the nest is accessible, a blast from a hosepipe reduces them to
pulp in seconds.

Janet.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 AM
Dave Poole

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 08:03:32 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

You can't have your cake and eat it.

I wasn't suggesting that for a moment.

Are you nor being selfish, expecting them to labour on your behalf,
and yet denying them s little lebensraum?

Absolutely not. I've always had great respect for wasps - they are
the finest remover of pests in a garden - I thought I made that
perfectly clear. The dilemna is that I want to leave them be, but may
have to eradicate them for the sake of safety.

Why not let them live in peace in what sounds like a reasonably remote
corner of your garden?

Remote? You must be joking. There is a fair sized Butia palm
diagonally opposite the date creating limited access to all of the
main part of the garden. This puts any visitor directly into the
flight path and at great risk of attack - not at the moment, but when
nest activity slows down in late summer.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Stephen Howard

wrote:

[...]

AKA using your garden!

Pros and cons aside - wasps, humans and confined spaces = pain.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk