Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
wendy7

Default someone please help me save Orchy the Orchid...

Welcome Lisa, sounds like you might have a Dendrobium?
See if there's a tag stuck in the side of the pot? It would have
a name & could then give you some culture tips.
In the mean time "do not" water it like a house plant & don't let
it sit in a saucer of water. It is going to need shaded sunlight, air etc.
Keep in touch.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Lisa wrote:
What I know about flowers wouldn't fill a thimble... that said lately
I have received quie a few bouquets but with 2 dogs, 2 cats and a baby
not to mention my brown thumb they almost all die instantly. BUT I did
get an orchid plant - don't ask me what kind - the blooms are small
and a pinkish purple and the stalks are long and thin with a few big
green leaves - and I managed to find a safe spot way up high. I named
her Orchy and following the advice of a grandmother I even spoke to
her daily, and I grew quite attached to my lovely quiet friend. She
thrived for about 6-8 weeks but sadly, perhaps because of a late
watering, her blooms faded and fell. Her leaves, however, are still
green and her stalks seem ok... Is she dead? Is there some way to get
her to re-bloom? Is she doing a summer hibernation thing? Please
someone advise in the simplest terms possible how to save my pretty
little girl. I really would like her to be a part of our home for a
while longer, but maybe I am grasping at, well, stalks? Advice would
be appreciated.

Lisa, Orchy's sad mom!