Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Lisa

Default someone please help me save Orchy the Orchid...

What I know about flowers wouldn't fill a thimble... that said lately
I have received quie a few bouquets but with 2 dogs, 2 cats and a baby
not to mention my brown thumb they almost all die instantly. BUT I did
get an orchid plant - don't ask me what kind - the blooms are small
and a pinkish purple and the stalks are long and thin with a few big
green leaves - and I managed to find a safe spot way up high. I named
her Orchy and following the advice of a grandmother I even spoke to
her daily, and I grew quite attached to my lovely quiet friend. She
thrived for about 6-8 weeks but sadly, perhaps because of a late
watering, her blooms faded and fell. Her leaves, however, are still
green and her stalks seem ok... Is she dead? Is there some way to get
her to re-bloom? Is she doing a summer hibernation thing? Please
someone advise in the simplest terms possible how to save my pretty
little girl. I really would like her to be a part of our home for a
while longer, but maybe I am grasping at, well, stalks? Advice would
be appreciated.

Lisa, Orchy's sad mom!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
wendy7

Welcome Lisa, sounds like you might have a Dendrobium?
See if there's a tag stuck in the side of the pot? It would have
a name & could then give you some culture tips.
In the mean time "do not" water it like a house plant & don't let
it sit in a saucer of water. It is going to need shaded sunlight, air etc.
Keep in touch.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Susan Erickson

On 5 Jul 2004 05:43:34 -0700, (Lisa)
wrote:

the blooms are small
and a pinkish purple and the stalks are long and thin with a few big
green leaves

Lisa, Orchy's sad mom!

Lisa -
Welcome to a addictive hobby. I can not grow houseplants, but
have a collection of thriving orchids. It is not impossible.

If your plant has been in bloom for 6-8 weeks that is a long time
and may mean you will have to wait until this time next year to
rebloom it. From your description (clip above) I will assume you
mean the stalks are inflorescence (or spikes). The big green
leaves are at or just above pot level. This would describe a
Phalaenopsis. The American Orchid Society has an information
sheet including a line drawing of the plant at:
http://www.orchidweb.org/orchids/cul...nner/phals.pdf

Most beginners have an idea of how to grow other plants so
sometimes it is easier to come at it from that angle. The Phal
likes soft light. It does want sun but like an African Violet it
will burn if placed in direct sun and prefers to have a sheer
curtain break the light up. It does not want to dry out, but it
also does not want to sit in water. If the pot is plastic, check
for a plastic pot to be inset in a clay one, it will hold more
moisture. So water it well allowing the water to flow thru the
pot and Drain. When your ready to water again, stick a pencil
or wooden Bar-Be-Q stick down in the pot to check for moisture
below the surface. If you even think it is wet - wait another
day. These plants can go 7 days if your humidity is high. If
possible group plants together so that the humidity is naturally
higher.
In most of the US, this plant will grow outside during the summer
if placed out of direct sunlight. Under a tree where there is
constantly moving shade or broken shade will provide a great deal
of light with out the sun on the plant. Remember the water
schedule will be different for plants grown outside.

Allow the inflorescence to die back on its own. Only clip the
dry stalk. This will allow the plant to rebloom if it wishes or
to use the spike again next year. Some Phals will reuse spikes
and some will grow new spikes. If you do not see signs of a new
leaf developing or maturing with in the next 6 months, cut the
spike off and enjoy the flowers that may be on it in a vase. The
plant is working too hard to flower and is not growing.
SuE
Old 05-07-2004, 10:02 PM
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Lisa,

As always, Sue has done a great job of giving you information about your
Phalaenopsis. Just to add my 2 cents, you might want to check the medium in
the pot to see if it's in good shape or if it's breaking down, in which case
it would need repotting.

Also, when you water, do so in the morning and avoid letting water sit in
the crown of the plant.

Welcome!

Diana

Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Lisa

Wow People - how did you know it was a Phalaenopsis - I am terribly
impressed - so let me see if I get this - I should not water daily -
more like once a week - and don't flood it or keep it in a saucer of
water - repot if the pot is in rough shape (it is new for now) and
don't worry of the blooms have fallen after 6-8 weeks because that is
normal and they will back next year at this time? Did I get all that
right? Phew - I am glad she is not dead or dying - I felt sad and
guily - new mom syndrome- want to nurture everything! Please advise me
about any other things I might be able to do for Orchy - I don't know,
with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 baby and one big baby (aka husband - lol) that
I have time for an orchid hobby - but when I do get sentimental I go
full tilt and this particulor orchid was a gift from my mom on the
occassion of my university grad after 14 years of stops and starts so
it means a lot to me - also I managed to keep it out of the clutches
of my cats long enough for them to have forgotten it was here which
means it has a fighting chance - so please keep advising and thanks
for being such a good bunch of people - I once posted a q about dog
behavior and you wouldn't believe the weirdos who started answering
and even emailing me - oh well - thanks again and cheers - lisa,
Orchy's somewhat relieved mom!
Old 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Rob Halgren

Lisa,
Think cactus. You wouldn't drown a cactus with love and water,
would you? Orchids aren't cacti, but they are (yours is anyway)
succulents. Try not to nurture it too much. It is difficult. If you
find that you spend too much time playing with this one orchid, you will
want to get several dozen more so that you can spread the time out more
evenly... *grin*

Go ahead and flood it when you water. Just don't let the water sit
in the pot (in a saucer, or in a pot without holes). Running lots of
water through the pot is a good thing. Just let it mostly dry out in
between. For repotting, don't look at the pot. Look at the medium in
the pot. If it is bark, it should look fresh (like fresh mulch). If
you see white stains or other buildup on the medium, repot it now.
Sniff it, if it smells funky, repot. If it doesn't seem to dry out
quickly enough (more than a week is bad!) then repot... Just because
the plant is new to you doesn't mean the potting mix is fresh.
Repotting is expensive, the grower probably didn't do it as often as you
might, and almost certainly didn't do it right before shipping it out.

You may notice the lowest leaf start to turn yellow and die, this is
normal. If more than one lower leaf dies before you get new leaves on
top, then you should start worrying again. It may or may not bloom
again this time next year. Most likely it will bloom earlier, perhaps
starting a new flower spike in January or February. It will take a
month or more to go from a little flower spike to flowers, so be patient.

Have fun.

Rob

[...]

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )
Old 08-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:04:08 -0400, Rob Halgren
wrote:

You may notice the lowest leaf start to turn yellow and die, this is
normal. If more than one lower leaf dies before you get new leaves on
top, then you should start worrying again. It may or may not bloom
again this time next year. Most likely it will bloom earlier, perhaps
starting a new flower spike in January or February. It will take a
month or more to go from a little flower spike to flowers, so be patient.

Have fun.

Rob

The multiple leaf drop is important. Watch for a new leaf to
develop. If it does not happen in the next 9 months, start to
worry. Also after that leaf has developed and you are thinking
inflorescence, hoping that positive thoughts will help, also make
sure there is at least a 10 degree difference in day and night
temperature where your plant is. If not you may need a different
location, or you may need to crack a window to pull in a bit of
cool night air, again with the thought that outside is cooler
than in. Generally a Phal needs this temperature push to initiate
the spike.

Have fun and stay with us.

SuE