Old 05-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Dad

Default [IBC] How many of you hord/keep bonsai?

Andrew - I like your attitude about bonsai. Too many people treat them like
a commodity: used cars, garage sales, old furniture and bonsai. If one has
this attitude, he misses the whole point of bonsai. A true bonsai artist
treats his trees as part of himself. He may give them to others if he knows
that the recipient can care for them as much as he does, but he doesn't sell
them.
I once went to a convention at which Ben Oki was doing a demo. A visitor
asked him if the tree he was working on was for sale. When the answer was
"no", the visitor asked:"But if were for sale, what would be the price?"
Ben quietly replied: " A thousand dollars."
The visitor gasped: "Isn't that a lot of money?"
"Yes, said Ben, but when you consider that I put 100 hours into that tree,
it only comes to $10 an hour for my work. Do you think I'm worth that
much?" Then, as an afterthought, Ben said: "But it's not for sale."
Marty