Old 05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Dilemna

"Dave Poole" wrote in message ...
Oh dear, I've just been watering outside and have realised that tucked
behind a Canary Island Date palm in the corner of the garden, is a
wasp's nest. There is so much undergrowth that its impossible to see
exactly where it is, but the constant stream of wasps going in and out
is sufficient proof. Now what to do about it. I'm always very glad
to see wasps in the garden - especially at this time of year because
they are far more effective at controlling caterpillars than any
insecticide.

However, to have them actually nest in the garden where they can
become very troublesome later in the year gives me great cause for
concern. I would love to be able to leave them be and allow them to
remain for the time being, but the longer I leave them, the bigger the
nest and the wasp population will increase dramatically. Looks a
though I'll have to go out with a torch and a suitable wasp killer one
night very soon. I'm not looking forward to it, but the constant
stream from a large population will effectively make a good portion of
the garden a no-go area since I have to cross their flight path

Wasp Grubs are fabulous fishing bait, especially for Chub, and the inside of
the nest makes good Groundbait too. With a wasp nest (without the wasps) you
are certain to have a good days fishing.
Problem is in a smallish garden that is the pride and joy of the owner do
you want some local fisherman lighting a fire with lots of smoke and then
going at the nest with a spade in the resulting fog.

Try your local council Pest Control Officer, it might be a safer bet, garden
wise. :-)

--
Regards
Bob