Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Cauliflower & broccoli - second heads?

I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great
big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two
cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread
at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the
change. Also there are tiny points on the surface.

Anyway, I understand I'm supposed to cut off the head and side shoots
will form. When I cut the cauli I ended up taking the top layer of
large leaves withthe head.. . Is this normal, okay?

DO the shoots sprouts near the cut, in the crotch of leaves or from a
new sprout lower on the plant? Do I leave all the existing leaves?

I assume broccoli is the same.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html