Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Cauliflower & broccoli - second heads?

I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great
big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two
cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread
at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the
change. Also there are tiny points on the surface.

Anyway, I understand I'm supposed to cut off the head and side shoots
will form. When I cut the cauli I ended up taking the top layer of
large leaves withthe head.. . Is this normal, okay?

DO the shoots sprouts near the cut, in the crotch of leaves or from a
new sprout lower on the plant? Do I leave all the existing leaves?

I assume broccoli is the same.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html
Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
FarmerDill

I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great
big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two
cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread
at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the
change. Also there are tiny points on the surface.

Anyway, I understand I'm supposed to cut off the head and side shoots
will form. When I cut the cauli I ended up taking the top layer of
large leaves withthe head.. . Is this normal, okay?

DO the shoots sprouts near the cut, in the crotch of leaves or from a
new sprout lower on the plant? Do I leave all the existing leaves?

I assume broccoli is the same.

Broccoli forms side shoots where the leaves attach to the stem. How big and how
many depends on the cultivar. Cauliflower, one head that's all. There may be a
few exceptions but it would be exceptional.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
simy1

DigitalVinyl wrote in message . ..
I'm growing these for the first time this year. I've got some great
big plants. I just harvested the broccoli and the first two
cauliflower. Cauliflower was harvested late--heads started to spread
at the edge and some .. uhm, popped--not sure how to desribed the
change.

the heads "split" (and became inferior tasting). I have long given up
doing brassicas in the summer. they are a natural fall crop. collards
can grow through the summer, because they don't head, and of course
long season cabbages and brussles sprouts which need the time, but
that's it. the time to plant broccoli and short season cabbages in
zone 6 is right now.