Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] How many of you hord/keep bonsai?

For the sake of those who must lighten the load of bonsai care -

We do become very sentimental about our bonsai and freely express the
emotions we develop about them; it encompasses some ideal. But, if we think
of them as an art and ourselves as artists then don't we recall that
sentiment does not produce good art and the matter of proceding toward an
art of higher calibre requires training, experience,patience and some rather
rigid discipline. Time goes by, sentiment tends to trap us in a past
wisdom. Certainly that is fine - but the sentiment can stall a new
viewpoint with even more success to come in the art, so I think we see in
studying the greatest of artists that they could set aside what they had
accomplished and proceed to more insightful and transcending work,
developing the same thing in themselves at the same time.

I love to give away trees when someone seems to want one badly enough and I,
at the same time, realize it is not one of my better ones. It can be a
inspiration for the possible beginner, but best of all, it gives room in my
space and especially drives me to replace it with something I now think I
might do a little better
..
I was toughened by constant reminders during my art schooling to
recognize sentiment, then avoid its grasp at times - so I just will uphold
that those whose advice seems without sentiment are making statements that
should be accepted as viewpoints or hope of an even greater expression
through their tree art. They do not lack a quality of emotion, but may be
practicing a discipline.
Nothing better or worse about either outlook, to me.. And the "point"
of bonsai is individual, a matter of how one reads the metaphoric background
of its artistry. Certainly an interesting philosophical exchange for us.

Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
----------------------

Andrew - I like your attitude about bonsai. Too many people treat them

like
a commodity: used cars, garage sales, old furniture and bonsai. If one

has
this attitude, he misses the whole point of bonsai. A true bonsai artist
treats his trees as part of himself. He may give them to others if he

knows
that the recipient can care for them as much as he does, but he doesn't

sell
them.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++