Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Christopher Fuhrman

Default Lavender - what am I doing wrong?

"Brigitte J." wrote in message
I planted 3 lavender plants in my yard back in early spring. They look
healthy, but they aren't growing much, and they aren't putting out any of
the lavendar flowers. Two are in full sun and one is in part sun/part
shade, but they all look the same.

I'm in zone 5, southeast Nebraska.

I'm in Montreal, which I think is zone 4 based on the proximity to upper
NY/Vermont states and the zones there. In the spring of 2003, I bought two
types of "hardy" lavender grown in Canada. Given that it's sold here as
"hardy" I expected it to survive the winters here (not in a greenhouse)!
Hardy is relative, after all.

Both types thrived over the summer and even flowered. I was fairly pleased.
However, only one of the two types survived last winter. They were both
planted in relatively the same spots, and I had three plants of each kind.
The plastic tag in the plants that survived said " Lavandula Angustifolia
'Hidcode' ". The ones that didn't survive were called Lavandula Heterophylla
'Goodwin Creek', which was a variety whose leaves were more grayish (and
fuzzy) in color. The dead plants were very dry and woody when I finally
pulled them out in the spring. My wife said the plastic tags resembled
"tombstones".

This spring I tried to buy more of the 'hidcote' variety, although I
couldn't find it exactly. The new lavender haven't yet shown signs of
thriving this summer, but they don't look sick. I bought a few new
perennials this spring; some are doing very well, some ok, some look
shocked. I think it depends on many things -- the soil, the plant's health
prior to transplanting, the weather after transplanting, etc.

Finally, the flowering I got from last year's 'hidcote' lavender is
spectacular this summer! It actually resembles the beauty of the plant on
the plastic tag!

Hang in there -- good luck with your lavender.