Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default tomatoes have curled leaves and yellow spots

Liashi said:

Hi everyone,

So far the problem hasn't gone to far, but any far can be too far. One
of my tomatoes has begun curling its leaves, mostly on one side of the
plant, and only older leaves (so far.) It was one we bought at the
store. On this plant in particular I have noticed one other oddity,
some of the new branch growth is curled and twisted before it
straightens. I'm not sure, but it seems like those branches curve down
an awful lot.

The upward rolling of lower leaves is not a disease. It is a genetic trait (wilty
gene) that many varieties express when under stress -- where stress may
be nothing more than high temperatures or a heavy fruit load.

My new growth is often somewhat curled but the curled leaves straighten out
as they expand.

Yellow spots may be a fungal disease. A few spots are no big worry. Tomatoes
benefit from foliar sprays of seaweed. (I like Maxicrop brand.) Copper fungicide
can be added as a preventative for foliar diseases.

Nematodes would likely cause stunting and wilting (leaf roll is not wilting).

(attributed to Don Marti)