Old 05-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Liashi

Default tomatoes have curled leaves and yellow spots

Hi everyone,

So far the problem hasn't gone to far, but any far can be too far. One
of my tomatoes has begun curling its leaves, mostly on one side of the
plant, and only older leaves (so far.) It was one we bought at the
store. On this plant in particular I have noticed one other oddity,
some of the new branch growth is curled and twisted before it
straightens. I'm not sure, but it seems like those branches curve down
an awful lot

Here's a pic of the affected areas of the plant:
http://img76.photobucket.com/albums/..._05_bonnie.bmp

leaf close-up, for those who might like it even closer . . .
http://img76.photobucket.com/albums/...eleafclose.bmp

affected plant (bonnie) and the less affected husky cherry red beside
it (note the leaves near the bottom of the pic that look lighter near
the tips, they are even starting to curl, but not as bad. It's even on
the same side of the plant as the first.)
http://img76.photobucket.com/albums/...andhusky02.jpg

I'm thinking it's possible it may be nematodes, but I'm not sure. Yet
another tomato had the spotted thing going on, but it vanished when I
put some fertilizer on, something like 9-12-12, I think. The only
other plants nearby are wild ones (notably blackberries, some other
vine plants, grasses, trees, thistle . . . spotted spurge. ick.)

The plants have had minor deer damage. Don't get me started on some of
my other tomatoes, however.

^^ Love to hear your thoughts.

--Liashi
Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Liashi said:

Hi everyone,

So far the problem hasn't gone to far, but any far can be too far. One
of my tomatoes has begun curling its leaves, mostly on one side of the
plant, and only older leaves (so far.) It was one we bought at the
store. On this plant in particular I have noticed one other oddity,
some of the new branch growth is curled and twisted before it
straightens. I'm not sure, but it seems like those branches curve down
an awful lot.

The upward rolling of lower leaves is not a disease. It is a genetic trait (wilty
gene) that many varieties express when under stress -- where stress may
be nothing more than high temperatures or a heavy fruit load.

My new growth is often somewhat curled but the curled leaves straighten out
as they expand.

Yellow spots may be a fungal disease. A few spots are no big worry. Tomatoes
benefit from foliar sprays of seaweed. (I like Maxicrop brand.) Copper fungicide
can be added as a preventative for foliar diseases.

Nematodes would likely cause stunting and wilting (leaf roll is not wilting).

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Liashi

I couldn't get any of your links to work. Are the leaves curling
up or down?

Penelope

They are curling up. Let me see about these pictures . . . try again
later if they don't work, they were fine for me . . .
Old 07-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Jim Carlock

You should put the pictures in a .jpg or .gif format when saving
them to the web. .bmp files are almost always 2x to 10x bigger
than the corresponding .jpg's or .gif's.

The Microsoft paint.exe or mspaint.exe will be able to save the
files in the different formats. Note: .gif results in a loss of color
because .gif formats are always a 256 color palette of colors,
but .gif formats sometimes result in better pictures than .jpg's
and sometimes can be smaller than the corresponding .jpg
files. You'll just have to save the files in a case by case fashion
and look at the resulting filesizes.

I got a timeout on the second picture link which could be that
the file is just so big and your webhosting server only offers
a limited bandwidth. The first one downloaded just fine, but
the second one is timing out.

Hope that helps in explaining computers and images.

--
Jim
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Liashi

Okay, thanks all for your input. Now I can somewhat relax. ^^ Was
thinking about putting on compost tea. Good? Does it matter?

I posted the .bmp files without thinking. I dislike .jpg immensly.
Give me a large .bmp anyday over a small crummy .jpg. The blurriness
is so hard to get out!!!

The .bmp should be okay because my web hosting service says it will
"automatically resize" if they're too large. I very careful to ensure
that they weren't any bigger than the supposed alotted "250k".

You forget these kind of things when you are on highspeed net . . . I
still remember the days when AOL took five minutes to load and the
connection was 14k. (Haha, not THAT bad some of you real day one
people are saying. ^_^ ) Thanks for the reminder. Sorry if the stuff
took a while for those of you on dial-up.
Old 13-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Registered User

Location: West-Midlands UK

the leaf curl is often a sign of rapid temperature change and is often harmless.
the yellow spots sound a bit like a magnessium deficiency, add a T`spoon of Epsom salts to a litre of water the next time you water it, if it isn`t Mag defficiency, it won`t hurt the plant, but if it is, you`ll find the new leaves won`t have this problem

the only reason I know this is because my greenhouse toms do exactly the same thing, and I was told that the tom feed will "lock up" the magnessium and so it`ll need extra
Say it with Flower, Give her a Triffid