Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Marrows - Female Flowers?

In article says...
You are being impatient. Many Cucurbitaceae will produce male flowers before
the female flowers.

In the wild, such a strategy encourages out-breeding with other plants (and
genetic diversity) but frustrates the impatient gardener expecting fruit.

How exactly can you tell the difference between the males and females?
The Marrows in my boxes are starting to flower at only three feet high.
last year they grew 6 feet before they started flowering which was in
September. I can't figure out what I did differently other than using a
wildflower seed mix from a different vendor. I was hoping they'd grow to
6 feet this year too.