Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Katra

Default Recommendations for new tree near septic drain field?

In article ,
Andyd wrote:

We have an enormous, very tall, Mamosa (sp?) tree in our yard that has
been dying bit by bit, and now half of the tree has just died, so I
think I am going to just take down the entire thing. Much to my
wife's chagrin.

Anyway, I wondered if people had recommendations for replacements.
Like I said, this was/is a huge mamosa, probably 30' tall, 40' spread,
so there is plenty of space availale. My wife mentioned Pecan, but I
don't know how one would do. The particulars on my yard- we are on a
hillside, the yard is a flattened out area where the septic drain
field is located, so the tree would be right next to the drain field.
Are we better off not introducing another tree with potentiall
invasive roots to the drain field? Or does it matter? I have heard
that mamosa's are pretty bad about invasive roots, so perhaps if it
didn't cause any problems we won't have any??? My other thoughts are
live oak, perhaps just some c.myrtle's. Someone else mentioned Burr
Oak. Jeez, so many choices.

Thanks.

andyd

adonnelly at austin dot rr dot com